Stream Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison’s Cheater’s Game; New Lori McKenna Record Due in April; Album Releases
On March 2, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will “present a special panel discussion, Forever with Us: The 50th Anniversary of a Country Music Tragedy, in memory of Country Music Hall of Fame member Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins and Randy Hughes, whose lives were lost in a plane crash a half century […]
It’s been a fantastic year for country and roots/Americana music, and it was no easy task for us to narrow down the list of albums released in 2012 to just a few favorites, but, after a few weeks of voting, here’s what we came up with. Honorable Mentions that missed the cut by just a […]
If you were sleeping off a pie binge or waiting in line for the chance to buy a discounted flatscreen, you might have missed the release of Omnivore Recordings’ Black Friday country records, available at independent record stores. The four 10″ EPs, featuring “rarities” recorded by Merle Haggard, Wanda Jackson, George Jones, and Buck Owens, preview […]
After the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins seemingly won every possible league championship earlier this decade, it was easy to feel jealous of all of those Boston sports fans. Now, the Red Sox have had to overhaul their whole line-up, the Celtics have seemingly passed their window in the NBA, the Patriots are still […]
Rodney Crowell shared some information about his upcoming duets record with Emmylou Harris: “Old Yellow Moon, the Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell duet album produced by Brian Ahern is finally finished. I want to give everybody a heads up to watch for Nonesuch Records official release date which I expect they will announce sometime very soon. […]
At the height of the alternative country scare in the mid- to late- nineties, Iris DeMent became one the most revered singers claimed by the field—although you would most likely find her CDs for sale in the folk bins (they had bins in those days), and since she regularly stunned audiences live and on […]
Debating File-Sharing and Artists’ Rights; Easton Corbin’s Sophomore Album Due in Sept.; Album Releases
NPR intern Emily White, a college senior who’s only bought 15 CDs in her life and has an 11,000 song personal library, wrote a blog about being a music fan who has “never supported physical music as a consumer.” An excerpt: “As I’ve grown up, I’ve come to realize the gravity of what file-sharing means […]
George Strait Scores 59th Number One; Stream New Justin Townes Earle Record; Free Music From Bhi Bhiman
“Love’s Gonna Make It Alright” is George Strait’s 59th Number One single. Stream the new Justin Townes Earle record, Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way You Feel About Me Now, here. NoiseTrade is offering a free album download from folksinger Bhi Bhiman. Vandaveer’s version of “Banks of the Ohio” is the newest entry in The 78 […]
First ACM Awards Performers Announced; Jennifer Nettles Hits Reality TV; Catching up with Jonny Corndawg
In case you missed Barry Mazor’s comments about Trisha Yearwood on yesterday’s news post, here they are again: Ms. Yearwood is also at work recording a new album. She told me on Tuesday after the Hall of Fame induction announcements, that she half feared people would JUST think of her as a cooking show host now, […]
The 2012 Country Music Hall of Fame inductees were announced this morning: Hargus “Pig” Robbins (Recording and/or Touring Musician) , Connie Smith (Veterans Era Artist), and Garth Brooks (Modern Era Artist). On April 2, Cracker Barrel will release CD/DVD set An Evening with…Dolly, featuring performances from Parton’s sold-out concert at London’s O2 Arena. The name on Tammy […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."