The current issue of Rolling Stone has a profile of Kris Kristofferson in which actor Ethan Hawke recalled a confrontation between Kristofferson and an unnamed country singer at Willie Nelson‘s 70th birthday party in 2003. The Tennessean then ran a story about that story and identified the unnamed singer as Toby Keith. However, a furious […]
Last year, truckloads of tapes were pulled from a barn in Pennsylvania. On the tapes were thousands of unreleased live recordings by Ken Alexander, who traveled to concerts setting up sound systems for venues. The recordings were made at high schools, dances, fairs, festivals, and auditoriums and include performances from George Jones, Dolly Parton, Hank […]
Unfortunately, responsibility called yesterday and we had to answer, leaving a lot of cool showcases at SXSW two spectators shorter than they might have been. Somehow, I don’t think anybody noticed. But when the phone rang today, we didn’t answer (take that, responsibility), so we’re about to head back out into the musical mayhem that […]
Shawn Sahm led the surviving members of the Texas Tornados, Augie Meyers and Flaco Jiminez, in a six-song romp at Antone’s last night that was part of a two-hour tribute show to his father, the late Doug Sahm. In addition to a documentary that’s being made about his father, Shaw Sahm also told the crowd […]
The music portion of SXSW kicks off today in Austin, TX and I’ll be in the midst of the mayhem, bouncing from venue to venue, trying to take in as much music as I possibly can. In the process, I’ll attempt to keep y’all updated on what’s going down wherever I happen to be via […]
A poll of more than 13,000 radio listeners who cited a country station as their main station ranked Brad Paisley (4.5) as listeners’ favorite country artist. He was followed by Brooks & Dunn (4.4) and George Strait (4.4) on a scale that graded the artists from one to five. According to a press release sent […]
A recording studio built by Buck Owens that once served as his headquarters is shutting its doors. Rick Davis bought the legendary Oildale studio from Owens in 1992. The two police officers accused of holding a gun to the back of Steve Holy’s head were indicted this past Monday on one count of aggravated assault […]
Here’s a YouTube video of President Bush singing a parody of “Green, Green Grass of Home” at the Gridiron Club’s Annual Spring Dinner on March 8th. Taylor Swift thinks the problem labels are having with trying to capture a younger audience is due to them trying too hard. “There are record labels that are admitting […]
Time Life plans to release Legends of American Music: George Jones, a three-CD boxed set covering the Hall of Famer’s career, on May 20. John Goodspeed touches on a few country bending performances at SXSW, including: Shelby Lynne, Bruce Robison, Joanne Cotten, Deana Carter, and a few bands from The British Invasion with a twang. […]
Burleson Heights Unplugged at Ventana del Soul Friday’s venue hopping kicked off just after lunch at Cafe Ventana, a little cafe/coffee shop tucked into the Ventana del Soul Cultural Center. It’s located away from the bustling activities of SXSW in downtown Austin, and as it turned out, just about everyone in attendance was either an […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.