Willie Nelson Signs Legacy Deal; Alan Lomax Archive to Hit Internet; AKUS Added to Paul McCartney Tribute
The 2012 Lone Star Music Award nominees have been announced; they include Drew Kennedy, Sunny Sweeney, The Damn Quails, Lloyd Maines and lots more. Here’s the ballot, if you want to vote. Willie Nelson has signed a deal with Sony’s Legacy Recordings. From the press release: As curator of his catalog, Willie will work with […]
#20-11 10. Sunny Sweeney – Concrete Rooted in traditional country, Sunny Sweeney’s sophomore album is slick enough for contemporary, as she netted her first Top 10 single with “From a Table Away.” Sweeney’s taken a big step with her songwriting since debut record Heartbreaker’s Hall of Fame, co-writing seven of Concrete’s ten tracks with talent […]
Sunny Sweeney Releases Holiday Single; Farce the Music Offers Benefit Compilation; Dobie Gray and Barbara Orbison Pass Away
Dobie Gray passed away yesterday at the age of 71. Barbara Orbison, widow of Roy Orbison, also passed away yesterday (the 23rd anniversary of Roy’s death). She was 60 years old. Gretchen Peters has a new blog entry up about the song “Camille,” written with Matraca Berg and Suzy Bogguss. “Camille” will be on Peters’ […]
Tom Roady Passes Away; Police Searching for Mindy McCready and Son; CMA Songwriters Series Goes Overseas
Percussionist Tom Roady, who appeared on recordings by Emmylou Harris, Tom T. Hall, Brooks & Dunn, Wilson Pickett, and many more, passed away on Sunday from a heart attack. He was 62. Charlie Douglas, a member of the Country Music Disc Jockey Hall of Fame, passed away last Thursday at the age of 78. Actor […]
Merle Haggard’s Recording Bucket List; Farewell Drifters Personnel Changes; The History of “Hillbilly Boogie”
Merle Haggard answered reader questions on No Depression, and he reveals that “I’ve recorded with about everyone I’ve ever wanted to, except for Kris Kristofferson. We’ve played together, but never recorded together. We’ve talked about it. I’d love to hear some of the new kids, like Miranda Lambert, record some of my songs.” Craig Havighurst […]
Did Patty Griffin and Robert Plant marry? Sunny Sweeney definitely got married to her longtime boyfriend in Vegas last Friday. Another love connection: Vince Gill and Miss Piggy. Here’s this week’s edition of Quotable Country. Dierks Bentley and Will Hoge will play the Ryman on February 2, just five days before Bentley’s album, Home, drops. […]
Songwriters: Sunny Sweeney, Monty Holmes Sunny Sweeney’s past two singles, “From a Table Away” and “Staying’s Worse Than Leaving” show her ability to deliver a damn fine country weeper. But Sweeney can also cut loose with the best of them, as she shows on this rowdy track. “Drink Myself Single,” co-written with Monty Holmes (who’s […]
Taylor Swift Named Billboard Woman of the Year; Punch Brothers to Open for Paul Simon; Kasey Chambers Nabs ARIA Award Nominations
Coming on December 1 from Texas A&M University Press: I’ll Be Here in the Morning: The Songwriting Legacy of Townes Van Zandt, by Brian T. Atkinson. Barry Mazor was quoted in the press release: “Commendably, I’ll Be Here in the Morning celebrates the artful song maker and intellect Van Zandt was at his best and […]
Infamous Stringduster Chris Pandolfi is giving one of the keynote addresses at this year’s IBMA business conference. On his blog he offers some thoughts on where IBMA could go in the future. Ted Lehmann has also written a thoughtful essay in response to a few of Pandolfi’s blog posts about the direction of IBMA. Rich […]
Sugarland Returns to the Stage; Free Rodney Parker and 50 Peso Reward Download; Philly Folk Fest Celebrates a Half Century
Sugarland returned to the stage and, joined by their crew, honored the victims of the Indiana stage collapse with a moment of silence and an acoustic rendition of their song “Love.” Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column addresses the concert tragedy and some of the dangers that occur at shows while Joel Rose of NPR […]
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.