Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
Ashley Monroe Hospitalized; Mac Wiseman Announces New Album; Rodney Crowell Named Musical Director of Everly Brothers Tribute
Ashley Monroe has canceled some upcoming shows due to a severe kidney infection. As she posted on her website yesterday, “This is very serious and I’m heading back to Nashville to go to the hospital. Thank you for understanding and please keep me in your prayers. I’m so sorry for the disappointment this will cause, but if […]
Paul Thorn’s next album, Too Blessed to be Stressed, is due out August 19. Here’s the new video for his song “Everybody Needs Somebody.” In an interview for CelebStoner.com (yeah, you probably shouldn’t click that if you’re at work), Willie Nelson revealed that he and Kacey Musgraves are “going to do some recording together.” Nelson’s […]
Steel guitar great Weldon Myrick passed away. As of 7 a.m., no obituaries have been published online, but we’ll keep you posted; ’til then, listen to one of the many classics he played on. (via Barry Mazor) Ryan Adams tackled The Pointer Sisters’ “Neutron Dance.” Watch here. Remember how Ralph Stanley was going to retire? […]
Jerry Sullivan of The Sullivan Family passed away on Saturday. John Lawless of Bluegrass Today posted an obituary. Rolling Stone Country has launched. Gus Wenner wrote what to expect in an Editor’s Note that you can read here. John Mellencamp has signed a “lifetime” recording contract with Republic Records and he will release his 22nd full-length album this […]
Lester Armistead of The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band passed away last Friday. Jamey Johnson is a free agent: he’s no longer signed to Mercury Records. There’s currently no news on what his next music move might be. Bryan White announced on his Facebook page that his Kickstarter-backed album, Shine, will be released on May 27. […]
On December 7, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will celebrate Buck Owens and The Buckaroos with a trio of special programs: a panel discussion (“The Buckaroos: Making Music with Buck Owens”), a book talk (about Buck ‘Em, Owens’ posthumous autobiography co-authored with Randy Poe), and a concert featuring Buddy Alan Owens, current […]
Tompall Glaser Passes Away; Noam Pikelny Salutes Bluegrass Greats on New Concept Album; Will Hoge Announces Fall Tour
Tompall Glaser passed away yesterday at the age of 79. The Tennessean, Nashville Scene, CMT.com, The L.A. Times, and The 615 posted obituaries. Out October 1 on Compass Records: Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe. From the press release: Baker’s fiddle brought an elegant and refined voice to Monroe’s music and Pikelny precisely […]
Stream Guy Clark’s My Favorite Picture of You; Canadian Country Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott Album Due in Sept.
Dean Brody, Terri Clark, and Johnny Reid are among this year’s Canadian Country Music Awards nominees. Check out the full list here. Stream Guy Clark’s fantastic new album, My Favorite Picture of You, on The Wall Street Journal Speakeasy blog. Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott’s next album, Memories & Moments, will be released September 17 […]
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …