IBMA Award Winners Announced; Underwood, Zac Brown Band to Perform at Veteran’s Day Concert in DC; Vince Gill on Ice
The winners of yesterday’s IBMA Awards (click through for the Momentum Awards and Special Awards winners, which were announced prior to last night’s awards show): Hall of Fame Inductees: The Seldom Scene, Neil Rosenberg Entertainer of the Year: Balsam Range Instrumental Group of the Year: Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen Vocal Group of the Year: Balsam […]
Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
Ashley Monroe Hospitalized; Mac Wiseman Announces New Album; Rodney Crowell Named Musical Director of Everly Brothers Tribute
Ashley Monroe has canceled some upcoming shows due to a severe kidney infection. As she posted on her website yesterday, “This is very serious and I’m heading back to Nashville to go to the hospital. Thank you for understanding and please keep me in your prayers. I’m so sorry for the disappointment this will cause, but if […]
Paul Thorn’s next album, Too Blessed to be Stressed, is due out August 19. Here’s the new video for his song “Everybody Needs Somebody.” In an interview for CelebStoner.com (yeah, you probably shouldn’t click that if you’re at work), Willie Nelson revealed that he and Kacey Musgraves are “going to do some recording together.” Nelson’s […]
Steel guitar great Weldon Myrick passed away. As of 7 a.m., no obituaries have been published online, but we’ll keep you posted; ’til then, listen to one of the many classics he played on. (via Barry Mazor) Ryan Adams tackled The Pointer Sisters’ “Neutron Dance.” Watch here. Remember how Ralph Stanley was going to retire? […]
Jerry Sullivan of The Sullivan Family passed away on Saturday. John Lawless of Bluegrass Today posted an obituary. Rolling Stone Country has launched. Gus Wenner wrote what to expect in an Editor’s Note that you can read here. John Mellencamp has signed a “lifetime” recording contract with Republic Records and he will release his 22nd full-length album this […]
Lester Armistead of The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band passed away last Friday. Jamey Johnson is a free agent: he’s no longer signed to Mercury Records. There’s currently no news on what his next music move might be. Bryan White announced on his Facebook page that his Kickstarter-backed album, Shine, will be released on May 27. […]
On December 7, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will celebrate Buck Owens and The Buckaroos with a trio of special programs: a panel discussion (“The Buckaroos: Making Music with Buck Owens”), a book talk (about Buck ‘Em, Owens’ posthumous autobiography co-authored with Randy Poe), and a concert featuring Buddy Alan Owens, current […]
Tompall Glaser Passes Away; Noam Pikelny Salutes Bluegrass Greats on New Concept Album; Will Hoge Announces Fall Tour
Tompall Glaser passed away yesterday at the age of 79. The Tennessean, Nashville Scene, CMT.com, The L.A. Times, and The 615 posted obituaries. Out October 1 on Compass Records: Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe. From the press release: Baker’s fiddle brought an elegant and refined voice to Monroe’s music and Pikelny precisely […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.