Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Founder Passes Away; Brad Paisley Teams Up with John Fogerty; Free Music from Hayes Carll
Warren Hellman, philanthropist and founder of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, passed away last night at the age of 77 due to complications from leukemia. Taylor Swift and Scotty McCreery were two of the artists who got spoofed in this SNL sketch. News has come out that soulful Etta James is in terminally ill in the last […]
Sugarland Performs at Nobel Peace Prize Concert; Brian Wright Offers Free EP; Stream Bob Dylan Tribute Album
Kenny Baker, Keith Coleman, Herman Johnson, and Woody Paul of Riders in the Sky will be inducted into the National Fiddler Hall of Fame in April 2012. On Saturday night Taylor Swift accepted the Nashville Symphony Harmony Award, which is “presented to individuals who exemplify the harmonious spirit of Nashville’s music community.” On Amnesty International’s […]
Grammy nominations were announced last night. Jim Lauderdale, Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Chris Thile, Michael Daves, Gillian Welch, Martina McBride, Eric Brace, Peter Cooper, and Alison Krauss & Union Station are just a few of the names up for awards. Check out the full list of nominees here. Tim McGraw is free from Curb Records, […]
Tim McGraw and Curb Head to Court; Bob Dylan Tribute Album to Feature Kristofferson and Sugarland; Music Videos
A new three million dollar film project called The Identical is in early development in Nashville and will look at the influence that gospel music had on Elvis Presley. The Tennessean had a front page story on Tim McGraw’s legal battles with Curb Records that will be heard in the courts this week. Former One […]
George Strait Remembers Chris LeDoux; Rhonda Vincent Adds New Band Member; Top Country/Roots Guitarists
If you punch a lady in the face at a Chris Young show, he’ll throw you out while singing about it. 48 of the Indiana stage collapse victims have sued Sugarland and 12 other defendants. Hearth Music posted an interview with old-time banjo player Riley Baugus, whose work has appeared on the Cold Mountain soundtrack […]
Garth and Trisha Help Build Homes in Haiti; Banjo Bonanza on Tonight’s Letterman; Buddy Holly’s Nashville Legacy
Jewly Hight penned a nice feature on Guy Clark for the Nashville Scene. For the fashionistas: LeAnn Rimes and Laura Bell Bundy got Fugged for their CMA Awards dresses (or, in Bundy’s case, her “BeDazzled underpants,”) but the fashion bloggers gave Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban a thumbs up. You can vote on Carrie Underwood’s […]
Nudie Cohn Gets Hall of Fame Exhibit; Mumford and Sons Debut New Song; Goat Rodeo Sessions on Colbert Report
Last week the Country Music Hall of Fame unveiled a spotlight exhibit dedicated to dazzling clothier Nudie Cohn. The exhibit will run through November 2012. Chris Parton of CMT spoke with Robert Ellis about his new, classic country-influenced album, Photographs. The Huffington Post featured an article on the Bluegrass Underground concert series, which is held […]
Keith Urban and Brad Paisley to Honor Glen Campbell; Sammy Shelor to Perform on Letterman; New Album and Book Releases
Brad Paisley and Keith Urban will honor Glen Campbell with a musical tribute at the CMA Awards. Kellie Pickler’s upcoming album (out January 24), includes a song called “Where’s Tammy Wynette.” Prairie Home Companion sound effects creator, Tom Keith, passed away on Sunday after suddenly collapsing at his home. He was 64. In 2012, Dierks […]
Sugarland returns to Indiana tonight. The show will benefit the Indiana State Fair Rescue Fund in honor of those injured or killed during the August stage collapse. Charlie Daniels’ 75th birthday will be celebrated at the Opry this Saturday. Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column is all about Johnny Cash, recent compilation Bootleg Volume III: […]
Kid Rock to Celebrate Tootsie’s 51st Birthday; Stream Shelby Lynne and Tom Waits Records; New Album Releases
Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, John Bettis, Thom Schuyler, and Allen Shamblin were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Here’s an excerpt from Brooks’ acceptance speech: “The songwriting, that’s what it’s all about. This is it. We can talk all day about entertainer. We can talk all day about record sales, but it starts […]
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …