As the popularity of The 9513 rises, so do the number of questions we receive. The number of questions this month was more than ever, so it took a group effort to get them all answered for y’all. You can view our previous mailbags or send us your questions through our contact form or just […]
Reba McEntire Duet Album Scheduled For Later This Year And Discussion Continued On Jackson Vs. The Opry
Brad Paisley’s 5th Gear is set to be released on June 19, but according to Country Standard Time, he hasn’t finished recording the album yet. I don’t know if this is some kind of story cautioning fans that it might be delayed, or if it’s simply a means to keep Paisley’s name fresh in people’s […]
James Kelly brought up the issue of “young vs. old” and “new vs. traditional” at the Opry in a piece titled “Are Country Legends too Old to Cut the Mustard?” He cites artists like Loretta Lynn and Willie Nelson who have taken creative chances to create a resurgence in their careers while other like Stonewall […]
More news on the Opry discrimination accusations from Stonewall Jackson. This time Charlie Louvin expresses some of his sentiments on the deal and the general feeling you get is that he feels slighted as well. He lost health insurance coverage for his wife after they scaled his performances back to about 15 a year. Vince […]
So the most exciting news today, to me at least, is Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Ray Price, and Asleep at the Wheel are coming to Austin on March 16th & 17th. Tickets go on sale in eight days, January 20, for the concert at the Backyard. I’m so not missing this show. I just hope […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."