The 49th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards off-camera award winners include: Career Achievement Award: Toby Keith, Ronnie Milsap Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award: Bob Beckham Crystal Milestone Award: Merle Haggard Gene Weed Special Achievement Award: Carrie Underwood Jim Reeves International Award: Steve Buchanan, Rascal Flatts Mae Boren Axton Award: Paul Moore Poet’s Award: Jack Clement, […]
Thankfulness in country music can often be sarcastic, as in “Thanks A Lot,” or humorous, like “Thank God and Greyhound.” But with this month’s playlist we’re going to be serious, and check out some songs on which artists count their various blessings. 20. “Thank God For The Road” – The Flatlanders “When you’re trying to […]
Same admonition as before. Just some songs I liked, one song per artist. “Silver Wings” – Jim & Jon Hager (1970) Since Hag issued the song as a B side (“Workin’ Man Blues” was the A side) this version is the only charting version of Hag’s classic. The Hager Twins do a nice job with […]
Terry Hobbs, the stepfather of one of three 8-year-old boys murdered in Crittenden County, Ark. in 1993, recently filed a complaint against Dixie Chicks’ Natalie Maines for statements posted to the band’s website in November of 2007 and comments she made last December. The complaint alleges Maines wrongfully made a “false and reckless claim that […]
The federal age discrimination lawsuit Stonewall Jackson filed last year against the Grand Ole Opry and its management has been settled, or as Jackson’s attorney, Kirk Clements, words it, “dismissed with prejudice.” Whatever that means. A spokesman for the 75-year-old singer said Jackson was “very happy to have this lawsuit settled and to be back […]
Steel guitarist Don Helms, who played on more than 100 Hank Williams recordings, passed away this morning at 81 from an apparent heart attack. Mr. Helms was the last remaining link to the Drifting Cowboys. His guitar was heard on more than 100 of Williams’ recordings, including “Your Cheatin’ Heart,” “Cold, Cold Heart” and “I […]
Lefty Frizzell rivaled and might have been bigger than Hank Williams in 1951, placing four songs in the top ten at the same time, a feat that’s never been matched. Like Williams, he led a turbulent life, mostly due to his own bad habits, but it was his friend Hank who was immortalized by an […]
An fundraiser for Barack Obama at the Austin Music Hall last night featured country artists Ray Benson and Joe Ely, and Obama himself even joined in for a performance of “Boogie Back to Texas.” The Asleep at the Wheel MySpace blog has several additional pictures. Chet Flippo weighs in on Kix Brooks’ comments about artists […]
The 9513 began as a country music news site. During the past year we have diversified our content but daily news roundups remain popular among our readers. Thus, it’s only fitting that our Year in Review series for 2007 ends with a roundup of the year’s top country music news stories. 20. Sammy Kershaw’s Troubles. […]
Luke Bryan got his butt whipped by Charley Pride at a charity poker event in Las Vegas last week. “I made the final table with Charley. He and I were the chip leaders. There were about four people left, and I got dealt a pair of kings – the money hand. I bet BIG and […]
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.