The 49th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards off-camera award winners include: Career Achievement Award: Toby Keith, Ronnie Milsap Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award: Bob Beckham Crystal Milestone Award: Merle Haggard Gene Weed Special Achievement Award: Carrie Underwood Jim Reeves International Award: Steve Buchanan, Rascal Flatts Mae Boren Axton Award: Paul Moore Poet’s Award: Jack Clement, […]
Thankfulness in country music can often be sarcastic, as in “Thanks A Lot,” or humorous, like “Thank God and Greyhound.” But with this month’s playlist we’re going to be serious, and check out some songs on which artists count their various blessings. 20. “Thank God For The Road” – The Flatlanders “When you’re trying to […]
Same admonition as before. Just some songs I liked, one song per artist. “Silver Wings” – Jim & Jon Hager (1970) Since Hag issued the song as a B side (“Workin’ Man Blues” was the A side) this version is the only charting version of Hag’s classic. The Hager Twins do a nice job with […]
Terry Hobbs, the stepfather of one of three 8-year-old boys murdered in Crittenden County, Ark. in 1993, recently filed a complaint against Dixie Chicks’ Natalie Maines for statements posted to the band’s website in November of 2007 and comments she made last December. The complaint alleges Maines wrongfully made a “false and reckless claim that […]
The federal age discrimination lawsuit Stonewall Jackson filed last year against the Grand Ole Opry and its management has been settled, or as Jackson’s attorney, Kirk Clements, words it, “dismissed with prejudice.” Whatever that means. A spokesman for the 75-year-old singer said Jackson was “very happy to have this lawsuit settled and to be back […]
Steel guitarist Don Helms, who played on more than 100 Hank Williams recordings, passed away this morning at 81 from an apparent heart attack. Mr. Helms was the last remaining link to the Drifting Cowboys. His guitar was heard on more than 100 of Williams’ recordings, including “Your Cheatin’ Heart,” “Cold, Cold Heart” and “I […]
Lefty Frizzell rivaled and might have been bigger than Hank Williams in 1951, placing four songs in the top ten at the same time, a feat that’s never been matched. Like Williams, he led a turbulent life, mostly due to his own bad habits, but it was his friend Hank who was immortalized by an […]
An fundraiser for Barack Obama at the Austin Music Hall last night featured country artists Ray Benson and Joe Ely, and Obama himself even joined in for a performance of “Boogie Back to Texas.” The Asleep at the Wheel MySpace blog has several additional pictures. Chet Flippo weighs in on Kix Brooks’ comments about artists […]
The 9513 began as a country music news site. During the past year we have diversified our content but daily news roundups remain popular among our readers. Thus, it’s only fitting that our Year in Review series for 2007 ends with a roundup of the year’s top country music news stories. 20. Sammy Kershaw’s Troubles. […]
Luke Bryan got his butt whipped by Charley Pride at a charity poker event in Las Vegas last week. “I made the final table with Charley. He and I were the chip leaders. There were about four people left, and I got dealt a pair of kings – the money hand. I bet BIG and […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.