Lee Ann Womack to Sing Anthem at Eagles-Cowboys Game; Ty Herndon Comes Out; Nora Jane Struthers Announces New Album
Ty Herndon officially came out. (Here’s a fine interview Chris Willman conducted with Herndon after the announcement.) Herndon’s announcement inspired Billy Gilman to do the same. Ronnie Milsap shot a video interview for CMT.com shortly before his Hall of Fame induction. IBMA drama continues: three more board members have resigned. Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn played a […]
The Mavericks, Steve Earle Announce New Albums; Billboard to Count Song Streams; The Voice Wants Jason Isbell
I can’t decide if this is funny-funny or sad-funny: a producer from The Voice emailed Jason Isbell to see if he wants to audition for the show. Isbell’s response is definitely funny, though. Steve Earle & The Dukes will release a new album called Terraplane on New West Records February 17. (via press release) Also […]
Loretta Lynn signed a multi-album deal with Legacy Recordings. The first album is slated for release in 2015. Lynn has been working with daughter Patsy L. Russell and John Carter Cash at the Cash Cabin Studio “on a project that travels back and explores Loretta’s musical history, from the Appalachian folk songs and gospel music […]
World of Bluegrass Returns to Raleigh; NPR Premieres Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn’s Album; New Music Videos
Stream Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn’s new album at NPR. Courtney Patton launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for her next album (“It’s country. And it’s full of waltzes.”), which will be produced by Drew Kennedy. The Tennessean’s Cindy Watts interviewed Blake Shelton about new album Bringing Back the Sunshine. An excerpt: “When […]
CMA Launches Startup Accelerator; Actor Options Film Rights to Steve Earle Novel; Opry to Return to NYC
Progressive bluegrass duo Jimmy Gaudreau and Moondi Klein will release their third album together, If I Had a Boat, on Rebel Records September 30. It is good. (via my ears) Actor Chris Hemsworth, best known for playing Thor in various Marvel-verse movies, has optioned the film rights to Steve Earle’s novel I’ll Never Get Out of […]
Studio owner and recording engineer Cosimo Matassa passed away yesterday at the age of 88. Fats Domino, Little Richard, a teenage Jerry Lee Lewis, and Ray Charles were among the artists who recorded at Matassa’s J&M Recording Studio in New Orleans. Lynn Anderson was charged with DUI last night after she was involved in a […]
George Strait will release a live album, The Cowboy Rides Away: Live from AT&T Stadium, on September 16. On August 29, CMT will air a two-hour special that was shot at that concert. John Fullbright will be on Letterman August 28. Angaleena Presley, the new American Songwriter Writer of the Week, talks about her new […]
Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
Jack L. Solomon Passes Away; Americana Acts Salute Springsteen; WAMU Bluegrass Country Celebrates 47th Anniversary
Jack L. Solomon a guitarist who played with George Jones and on recordings for Dolly Parton, Ernest Tubb, Webb Pierce, Melba Montgomery (to whom he was married) and more, passed away on June 24. He was 71. The controversy surrounding Studio A and Music Row continues. Harold Bradley wrote an letter to the Metro City […]
On the title track of their new album, Kelly Willis and Bruce Robinson declare that “We’ve only just begun” but promise that “this will be our year” for it “took a long time to come.” When Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison released Cheater’s Game last year—the first album the couple had recorded together after 17 […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.