Stream New Music From Nanci Griffith and Alabama Shakes; Punch Brothers Cover The Cars; Album Releases
The April Trail Mix from Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine, featuring tracks from Sierra Hull, The Steel Wheels, Steep Canyon Rangers, Casey Driessen, and more is available for free download. NPR is streaming new albums from Alabama Shakes and Bonnie Raitt. And Performing Songwriter has the new one from Nanci Griffith. Preview The Hillbenders’ new song, [...]
New Music From Sara Watkins and Peter Cooper; Cracker Barrel Sponsors Josh Turner’s Tour; Dirt Daubers on BBC Radio
Farce the Music has a new batch of Photoshopped country album covers up for your amusement. Listen to “When It Pleases You,” the first single from Sara Watkins’ upcoming album, Sun Midnight Sun, due out May 8. Peter Cooper is offering two free, new songs for you to download. Saving Country Music’s Triggerman takes on [...]
Keeping up with the sheer volume of new releases that might be of interest to people reading this column is always a challenge, practically impossible, and while I don’t plan to do it often, I figure that one way to play some catch-up here is just to line up some brief comments on recent releases [...]
Second Round of ACM Awards Performers Announced; Della Mae Selected for State Department’s American Music Abroad; Album Releases
Pam Tillis was a guest judge on RuPaul’s Drag Race last night. The full episode, called “Dragazines,” can be streamed here. Darrell Scott considers “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry,” “To Live’s to Fly,” and “Sunday Morning Coming Down” to be “perfect songs.” Here’s a feature on Echo Mountain, the Asheville, North Carolina recording studio [...]
To celebrate what would have been his 80th birthday this past weekend, TIME released a bunch of previously unreleased Johnny Cash photographs. David Allan Coe and Hank Williams III are collaborating on a new music project. George Strait had to cancel a concert two songs into a show in Kansas City. Take a listen to [...]
Curb to Release Hank Jr. Walmart Exclusive CD; Jim Lauderdale Documentary to Air in Australia; New Album Releases
Chris Thile finds the first two Nickel Creek albums “unbearably smug.” Old-time fiddler Joe Thompson passed away yesterday at the age of 93. Thompson influenced several musicians, including the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Here is a 2007 performance at the Kennedy Center. George Jones and Tammy Wynette and Rosanne Cash and Rodney Crowell are featured in [...]
AKUS Records Music for The Simpsons; Video of Randy Travis’ Arrest Released; Dehlia Low to Take Hiatus
Alison Krauss and Union Station recorded some music that’ll play on Sunday’s episode of The Simpsons. Songwriter Danny Morrison passed away on Tuesday. Jim Caligiuri caught a three-hour Chris Isaak show in Austin: With a new backdrop simulating Sun Studios, Isaak concentrated on his latest album, Beyond the Sun, a collection of songs that were [...]
Randy Travis was arrested early Monday morning in Sanger, Texas on a charge of public intoxication. He has subsequently released a statement apologizing. Johnny Cash’s 80th birthday will be celebrated with two Cash-centric museums and multiple music releases. April 10 is the release date of the Steep Canyon Rangers’ Nobody Knows You. While the band’s [...]
On February 26 in Jackson, Mississippi, Glen Campbell will play a benefit concert for Alzheimer’s research. Kellie Pickler likes traditional country and puppies. Yesterday afternoon Dolly Parton announced plans to team up with Gaylord for a new water and snow park in Nashville. Groundbreaking is scheduled for 2013, with the complex opening by Summer 2014. [...]
Whether you’re a fan of traditional, progressive, or any and all other permutations of bluegrass music, chances are you found a few favorite new albums this past year. Here are our Top 20 bluegrass records of 2011. 20. Farewell Drifters – Echo Boom Drawing equally on John Hartford and The Beatles, The Farewell Drifters are [...]
- bob: After the not so Incredible Machine cd, I'll try to hear as much of the Nettles solo album as I ...
- nm: Richard Bennett is a class act. That is all.
- Bruce: Jon's comment about lip-syncing seems to agree with my statement "I know it isn’t a new thing.." At least I ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Randy Travis is suing the Texas attorney general’s office and the Texas Department of Public Safety to prevent the release ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Lip-syncing is ancient history;" So you're saying that lip synching is not done--or not commonly done--anymore. Gee, this board is so ...
- Juli Thanki: It sounds just like Earl. If Earl played it at quarter-speed while half in the bag. And perhaps also if ...
- Jon: Lip-syncing is ancient history; it's about time people got over that. So, Juli, the real question is, have *you* mastered "Cripple ...
- Bruce: Also concerning Nettles solo project, I thought she had been a solo artists for the last few years? Sorry but ...
- Bruce: Swift's wins at the Billboard Music Awards in a non-issue with me. But I LOVED Kid Rock's dig at lip-syncing. ...
- Luckyoldsun: Wow, Trisha's very talkative with folks who run into her at Target.