Rosanne Cash Testifies Before Congress; RCA Studio A May be Sold; Larry Sparks Celebrates 50 Years in Music
Rosanne Cash is testifying on behalf of the Americana Music Association before the House Judiciary Committee today in support of artists’ rights. Here is a transcript of her testimony. The whole thing is worth a read, and the fact that 600,000 song streams on a music subscription site earned Cash only $114 is mind-boggling. Stream […]
When you’re in the middle of a lively, exciting music scene, it tends to seem natural, inevitable, and bound to last. And then time happens. The scene and the music it thrived around evolve or fade away; what was exciting about them, how they seemed to matter, and, eventually, what they even were become points […]
Ken Morton delivered the first installment of ghostly country songs last week. Today, we add a few more to the list. 5. David Ball – “Riding with Private Malone” Who needs airbags when your classic Corvette comes with a ghost who’ll save your life after a wreck? 4. Chelle Rose – “Browder Holler Boy” […]
Stream Howlin’ Brothers, Brandy Clark Albums; Strait, Jackson to Salute George Jones at CMA Awards; New Releases
Jeffrey Steele, Randy Owen, Will Jennings, and Layng Martine Jr. were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame on Sunday. Grandpa Jones would be celebrating his 100th birthday this Sunday. Peter Cooper wrote a fine feature on the Country Music Hall of Famer; consider it mandatory reading. Brandy Clark’s 12 Stories is streaming at […]
Whenever you round a corner in the bluegrass world, you’re liable run into Chris Jones. Co-writer, with John Pennell of the 2007 IBMA Song of the Year, “Fork in the Road,” columnist for Bluegrass Today, a host on Sirius XM’s Bluegrass Junction, and front man of The Night Drivers, Jones is one of bluegrass’s most […]
Stream New Music From Patty Griffin, Willie Nelson; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute Album in May; Album Releases
Stream “Ohio,” a song from Patty Griffin’s American Kid (out 5/7), here. Rolling Stone posted the title track of Willie Nelson’s upcoming album of standards, Let’s Face the Music and Dance. Hellbound Glory played “Lost Cause” for CMT Edge. Stream David Mayfield Parade’s new record at American Songwriter. Good Man Down, which includes guests Doyle […]
Eddie Stubbs Marks 30 Years in Broadcasting; Richard Thompson, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Announce Tour Dates; Stream Carrie Rodriguez’s New Record
George Strait kicks off his The Cowboy Rides Away Tour this Friday in Lubbock. There’s a Holly Williams EP available on NoiseTrade. Iris DeMent, Kelly Hogan, Taylor Swift, and Todd Snider are a few of the acts whose albums were in the Top 50 of the Village Voice Pazz & Jop Critics Poll. Jewly Hight […]
The fire at Sony’s North London distribution center has affected approximately 150 independent record labels. Download Merle Haggard‘s Texas Rangers tune “That’s the Way Baseball Go,” which is set to the tune of “That’s the Way Love Goes.” Proceeds go to charity. Country California is giving away a copy of Eric Church‘s Chief. Suzy Bogguss […]
This week’s Friday Five is inspired by a song that was mentioned in Ralph Stanley’s autobiography Man of Constant Sorrow: Cager Farler’s “There’ll Be No Hippies in Heaven.” (Really, Cager? Not even that longhaired dude in sandals?) So what else isn’t in heaven? Let’s find out. 5. “No Lawyers in Heaven” – Ray Stevens If […]
CMA Fest Announces Performers; Shaver & Nelson Release “Wacko From Waco” Duet; Gretchen Wilson’s Favorite Grammy Winners
The first round of announced performers for the CMA Music Festival includes Trace Adkins, Jason Aldean, The Band Perry, Sheryl Crow, Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts, Reba, Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton and Keith Urban. “On the Banks of the Ohio” illustrated. (via Fresh Signals) Northwest native Rachel Harrington plans to release her […]
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …
- Russ Morris: My introduction to Dwight was This Time. Every song on that album is my favorite. I'm playing 3 Pears in …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Favorite Dwight Yoakam song? Too darn tough to choose! I do love his second Greatest Hits album, though, featuring his …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.