After 50 years of fostering and honing the chops of singers and songwriters in Nashville, Tootsies finally got the celebration it deserves. Revered as a breeding ground for Nashville’s music machine, the venerable honky tonk on Lower Broadway simply teems with character and legend. And all of those who gathered to celebrate at the Ryman […]
Over on The Boot this week, Alan Jackson answered 20 questions ranging from his favorite date night activities to the best car ever made. One question that stood out had the country legend-in-making naming tunes he enjoyed so much, he wished he had written them: What song did somebody else write that you wish you’d […]
In yesterday’s News Roundup, Brody linked to an American Songwriter article on Liz Rose, a Nashville songwriter perhaps most famously associated with Taylor Swift. The interview, titled Liz Rose: Co-writer to the Stars, talked with Rose about some of her peers that have helped her along the way: “[Publisher] Jody [Williams] talked me into being […]
Why does Nashville Star start again? Because it has slightly better ratings than an Oxy Clean infomercial. — Jim What does “we’re having an Indian Summer” mean? It means you’ve just been extradited from a place you’ve been living for hundreds of years. — Pierce What is the meaning of “Wild at Heart” by Gloriana? […]
In a genre of music dominated by songs covering the trials and tribulations of love, it’s easy to fall into the trap of He Said/She Said. I’m not talking about the latest high school drama from Taylor or Miley, or two-sided accounts of where love went wrong–although songs like Lee Ann Womack’s “Last Call” and […]
Ladies and gentleman, your 44th annual Academy of Country Music Awards nominees. (Visit the link for full list.) Entertainer of the Year Kenny Chesney | Brad Paisley | George Strait | Carrie Underwood | Keith Urban Top Male Vocalist Kenny Chesney | Toby Keith | Brad Paisley | George Strait | Keith Urban Top Female […]
Without songwriters, we wouldn’t have any songs, but they hardly receive the recognition they deserve for the contributions they make. We have the greats that are obvious like Harlan Howard, Cindy Walker, and even Hank Williams that are hard to pass up–and they really aren’t all that lacking in the accolades–so let’s limit this to […]
We haven’t featured much Grammy coverage here on The 9513, but give us credit for weighing in when it counts: after the results have been revealed and with the benefit of perfect hindsight (we certainly wouldn’t want to stick our necks out before the votes have been cast). In all seriousness, readers who desire extensive […]
Catherine Britt – Little Wildflower Catherine Britt released her third album, Little Wildflower, in her native Australia. This album, produced by Brett Beavers, attempts to cover ground in both contemporary and traditional country and while her contemporary contributions are decent, they blend in with current offerings from other artists. However, Britt’s performance and smoky vocals […]
The video for Carrie Underwood’s “All-American Girl” is out and, surprise, it’s directed by Roman White. Roman White has directed all seven of Carrie’s music videos (for those trying to do that math, that’s six studio singles plus Disney’s “Ever Ever After”). If you have to choose one video director for the rest of your […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...