Mac Wiseman’s new album was more than 80 years in the making. And it’s worth the wait. But it’s not as though the 89-year-old music legend wasn’t doing anything else during those decades: he’s performed everywhere from the Old Dominion Barn Dance to Carnegie Hall, been an executive for Dot Records, helped found the Country […]
Missy Werner might not be as well-known as fellow bluegrass vocal powerhouses Rhonda Vincent or Dale Ann Bradley, but anyone who’s picked up her solo debut, Drifting and Dreaming, or Three Kinds of Lonesome, a 2011 release she put out with her band, knows she’s something special. The Cincinnati-based bluegrasser’s new album, Turn This Heart […]
The Hattiesburg American reports that the Coca-Cola building in Philadelphia, Mississippi is being transformed into a warehouse associated with the proposed Marty Stuart Center. When it opens, the Center will hold Stuart’s collection of country music memorabilia. Ruthie Foster will release Promise of a New Day on August 19. USA Today premiered one of the […]
Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert unveiled their new duet, “Somethin’ Bad,” at the Billboard Music Awards last night. Underwood also took home the Milestone Award. Other Billboard Award winners: Alan Jackson (Top Christian Album for Precious Memories, Vol. 2), Luke Bryan (Top Country Artist and Top Country Album for Crash My Party), and Florida Georgia […]
Stringbean’s Murderer Up for Parole; CMHOF to Open Kenny Rogers Exhibit; Jeff Austin Leaves Yonder Mountain String Band
John A. Brown, one of the men convicted of murdering “Stringbean” and Estelle Akeman, is up for parole. It could take up to two weeks for the board to announce an official decision; Brown’s previous parole requests have been denied. Mental Floss wants you to learn twelve facts about Dollywood. Here are two: the park […]
Download a Chatham County Line sampler on NoiseTrade. Here’s “Should Have Known” from the quartet’s upcoming album, Tightrope. On April 26, Nancy Jones, George’s widow, will plant two dogwood trees at the Possum’s Woodlawn Cemetery gravesite. The event is open to the public. Dom Flemons will release a solo album called Prospect Hill on July 22. (via press […]
Stream New Rodney Crowell, Bobby Bare Jr. Albums; Eric Church Announces Tour Dates; Walmart to Cut CD Stock
Stream Rodney Crowell’s fine new album, Tarpaper Sky, before its release next week. Bobby Bare Jr.’s record, Undefeated, is also streaming online. Last week we reported news of Arthur Smith’s passing. Today The New York Times published his obituary. Music City Roots is moving from the Loveless Café Barn to the Factory at Franklin. Trisha Yearwood’s […]
This summer’s DelFest lineup has been announced. The Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn, The Duhks, Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby with Kentucky Thunder, and Hot Rize featuring Red Knuckles and The Trailblazers are just a few of the acts who’ll be playing the Memorial Day weekend festival in […]
Ron Block, long known for his decades as superb banjoist and guitarist for Alison Krauss and Union Station, released this past summer his third solo album for Rounder Records, Walking Song. Block takes the opportunity, with this project, to focus most heavily on his talents as a singer, producer and musician. In doing so, he […]
Vote on Vanguard’s Record Store Day Releases; Alan Jackson Tops Bluegrass Charts; Travelin’ McCourys Announce Midwest Tour Dates
You can vote on the albums Vanguard Records will reissue for next year’s Record Store Day. Your options include releases by Doc Watson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Odetta, and many others. This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix includes The Devil Makes Three, Brian Wright, Elephant Revival, and many more. Check out this Kacey Musgraves/2Pac […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."