George Hamilton IV Passes Away; Isbell Wins Three Americana Music Awards; Bravo Development Plans to Demolish Studio A
George Hamilton IV passed away yesterday, less than a week after suffering a serious heart attack. The 77-year-old, who began his recording career as a pop artist with the Top 10 hit “A Rose and a Baby Ruth” in 1956, had been a member of the Opry since 1960. Peter Cooper wrote Hamilton’s obituary for the […]
Mac Wiseman’s new album was more than 80 years in the making. And it’s worth the wait. But it’s not as though the 89-year-old music legend wasn’t doing anything else during those decades: he’s performed everywhere from the Old Dominion Barn Dance to Carnegie Hall, been an executive for Dot Records, helped found the Country […]
Missy Werner might not be as well-known as fellow bluegrass vocal powerhouses Rhonda Vincent or Dale Ann Bradley, but anyone who’s picked up her solo debut, Drifting and Dreaming, or Three Kinds of Lonesome, a 2011 release she put out with her band, knows she’s something special. The Cincinnati-based bluegrasser’s new album, Turn This Heart […]
The Hattiesburg American reports that the Coca-Cola building in Philadelphia, Mississippi is being transformed into a warehouse associated with the proposed Marty Stuart Center. When it opens, the Center will hold Stuart’s collection of country music memorabilia. Ruthie Foster will release Promise of a New Day on August 19. USA Today premiered one of the […]
Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert unveiled their new duet, “Somethin’ Bad,” at the Billboard Music Awards last night. Underwood also took home the Milestone Award. Other Billboard Award winners: Alan Jackson (Top Christian Album for Precious Memories, Vol. 2), Luke Bryan (Top Country Artist and Top Country Album for Crash My Party), and Florida Georgia […]
Stringbean’s Murderer Up for Parole; CMHOF to Open Kenny Rogers Exhibit; Jeff Austin Leaves Yonder Mountain String Band
John A. Brown, one of the men convicted of murdering “Stringbean” and Estelle Akeman, is up for parole. It could take up to two weeks for the board to announce an official decision; Brown’s previous parole requests have been denied. Mental Floss wants you to learn twelve facts about Dollywood. Here are two: the park […]
Download a Chatham County Line sampler on NoiseTrade. Here’s “Should Have Known” from the quartet’s upcoming album, Tightrope. On April 26, Nancy Jones, George’s widow, will plant two dogwood trees at the Possum’s Woodlawn Cemetery gravesite. The event is open to the public. Dom Flemons will release a solo album called Prospect Hill on July 22. (via press […]
Stream New Rodney Crowell, Bobby Bare Jr. Albums; Eric Church Announces Tour Dates; Walmart to Cut CD Stock
Stream Rodney Crowell’s fine new album, Tarpaper Sky, before its release next week. Bobby Bare Jr.’s record, Undefeated, is also streaming online. Last week we reported news of Arthur Smith’s passing. Today The New York Times published his obituary. Music City Roots is moving from the Loveless Café Barn to the Factory at Franklin. Trisha Yearwood’s […]
This summer’s DelFest lineup has been announced. The Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn, The Duhks, Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby with Kentucky Thunder, and Hot Rize featuring Red Knuckles and The Trailblazers are just a few of the acts who’ll be playing the Memorial Day weekend festival in […]
Ron Block, long known for his decades as superb banjoist and guitarist for Alison Krauss and Union Station, released this past summer his third solo album for Rounder Records, Walking Song. Block takes the opportunity, with this project, to focus most heavily on his talents as a singer, producer and musician. In doing so, he […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...