Sturgill Simpson’s Sophomore Album Due 5/13; Jean Shepard Working on Her Book; Infamous Stringdusters Release New Video
Jean Shepard has been working for quite a while on a book called Down Through the Years. Fingers crossed it gets released sooner rather than later. Sturgill Simpson’s Metamodern Sounds in Country Music will be released on May 13. Listen to “Living the Dream” and take a peek at the tracklisting (which includes a pretty […]
Omnivore to Release Hank Williams Record Store Day EP; Stream New Dierks Bentley, Marah Albums; Dave & Phil Alvin Salute Big Bill Broonzy
On Record Store Day, Omnivore Recordings will release Hank Williams’ The Garden Spot Programs — 1950 as a 10” brown vinyl EP. The label is also going to put out a full-length Garden Spots release in May. Multi-instrumentalist and jazz advocate Billy Adair passed away on February 18 at the age of 66. Adair played […]
Cal Smith, Jim Shumate Pass Away; Tony Brown Charged with Domestic Assault; Randy Travis Expected to Return Home
Cal Smith passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Bluegrass fiddler and former Blue Grass Boy Jim Shumate has passed away. He was 91. Tony Brown has been arrested and charged with domestic assault “resulting in bodily injury this week related to an alleged dispute that Belle Meade Police were called to in September.” […]
Chet Flippo Passes Away; Jesse Brock Joins The Gibson Brothers; Download Free Preservation Hall Jazz Band Single
Music journalist Chet Flippo passed away yesterday at the age of 69. He was a thoughtful and engaging writer who did a lot of important work, and he’ll be missed. Rolling Stone, CMT, The Tennessean, The Hollywood Reporter, MusicRow, The Nashville Scene, The L.A. Times, Billboard, and Paste are a few of the outlets who […]
Vince Gill Performs with Boston Pops; Shovels & Rope to Release O’ Be Joyful Deluxe Edition; New Valerie Smith, Black Lillies Videos
Producer and Canadian Country Music Hall of Famer Bill Langstroth passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Connie Smith, Bobby Bare, and Sleepy Man Banjo Boys are among the artists who’ll be playing Marty Stuart’s Late Night Jam on June 5 at the Ryman. See any familiar faces in Pistol Annies’ “Hush Hush” video? […]
Kasey Anderson Charged with Wire Fraud; Emmylou Harris Charged with Hit-and-Run; Stream SteelDrivers’ Hammer Down
Patty Andrews, the last surviving member of the Andrews Sisters, died of natural causes yesterday at the age of 94. L.A. prosecutors have charged Emmylou Harris with hit-and-run for “failing to exchange information with a driver whose car she hit on a freeway on Oct. 1.” Stream the SteelDrivers’ new record, Hammer Down, at Twang […]
The CMA Awards nominations were announced yesterday. Eric Church led the field with five nominations, while Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton each got four. Read the full list of nominees here. Joe South, who wrote songs including “(I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden” and played on songs including Aretha Franklin’s “Chain of Fools,” passed away […]
In October, Eric Church will record back-to-back shows in Chattanooga with plans to release a live album in 2013. Emmylou Harris and Mumford and Sons will tape an episode of CMT Crossroads that’s slated to air September 20. Performing Songwriter posted excerpts of a 1995 interview with Hal David. Emily Robison and her boyfriend welcomed […]
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …