It’s fitting that the new single from Shooter Jennings’ upcoming album entitled Family Man (due out March 13) finds him channeling his father with a loose, late ‘70s-flavored country love song. Sung over twangy Telecaster, pedal steel, and the steady thump of a bass drum, the lyrics may lean a bit too hard on the […]
Gene Watson Celebrates 50 Years of Country Music; The Jayhawks Announce Tour Dates; Carl Jackson Honored with Historical Marker
Sarah Jarosz, Joshua Britt (Farewell Drifters), Tom Russell, and more offer up their thoughts on Bob Dylan to kick off American Songwriter’s “30 Days of Dylan.” The Jayhawks announced new tour dates: they’ll start in Colorado at the end of this month. Guitarist Lincoln Meyers has left bluegrass band Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen. Tift […]
Free Music from Lori McKenna, Punch Bros. and the Del McCoury Band; New Justin Townes Earle Album; The Story Behind “Rudolph”
Lori McKenna’s giving away a Christmas song. Del McCoury’s got some free music for you too, with “Moneyland” from the 2008 album of the same name. Download “Movement and Location” from the Punch Brothers’ upcoming album Who’s Feeling Young Now, due out February 14. Justin Townes Earle’s fourth full-length record, Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way […]
Working as I do in both journalism and music history, from time to time I’ve had the opportunity (and also the working need, truthfully) to interview the immediate families of some of country and roots music’s most celebrated figures, sometimes getting to know them outside of that defined situation. It occurs to me again and […]
Sunny Sweeney Releases Holiday Single; Farce the Music Offers Benefit Compilation; Dobie Gray and Barbara Orbison Pass Away
Dobie Gray passed away yesterday at the age of 71. Barbara Orbison, widow of Roy Orbison, also passed away yesterday (the 23rd anniversary of Roy’s death). She was 60 years old. Gretchen Peters has a new blog entry up about the song “Camille,” written with Matraca Berg and Suzy Bogguss. “Camille” will be on Peters’ […]
Travis Tritt dropped out of a benefit concert for Joplin, Missouri tornado relief efforts because his expenses would have been covered by donations: “It is inappropriate and wrong to take contributions that were given to help victims of the tornadoes and use that money for any other purpose,” Tritt wrote [on his Facebook page]. “I […]
Blues musician David “Honeyboy” Edwards passed away yesterday at the age of 96. Miranda Lambert moves to RCA Nashville as part of Sony Music Nashville’s restructuring. In other Miranda news, on her Dateline special, she talked about falling in love with a married Blake Shelton (and his mullet). No charges have been filed after federal […]
IBMA Awards Nominees Announced; Opry to Host George Jones Birthday Celebration; Brad Paisley and Ronnie Wood Rock Out
The Boxcarsare the band to beat at the IBMA Awards, earning nine nominations last night. George Shuffler and Del McCoury were also announced as the newest Bluegrass Hall of Fame inductees. The full list of nominees is here. Have no fear if you haven’t heard some of those albums and songs up for awards: tomorrow […]
Old Crow Medicine Show on Hiatus; New Videos from Joey + Rory and Shooter Jennings; Tracy Lawrence Goes to Trial
Don’t forget to tune in to the 2011 IBMA Awards Nominees Announcement at 6pm Eastern on Sirius XM Bluegrass Junction or MusicCityRoots.com. Following the announcement are performances by Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Sierra Hull & Highway 111, Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out, and the Josh Williams Band. Merle Haggard is back home after being […]
Probably because they’re just plain tired of being turned into boots and handbags, alligators aren’t always so kind in song. They frequently are the culprit in many mysterious tales of the swamp and backwater down in Louisiana. Those old reptiles have been upset ever since the Great Depression ended. When the nation got back on […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.