It was the Blake and Miranda show last night at the 46th Annual Country Music Association Awards Ceremony last night with the married couple hauling in trophies for four different awards. What were your favorite highlights and lowlights? Here is a list of the winners: Entertainer of the year- Blake Shelton Female vocalist- Miranda Lambert […]
Six-Part Johnny Cash TV Series to Debut Sunday; Garth Brooks to End Vegas Shows; Lori McKenna Announces EP Release;
Keith Urban, Catherine Britt, and The McClymonts are among the 2012 ARIA Awards nominees. Johnny Cash: Song by Song, a six episode series delving into the life and music of the Man in Black, will premiere Sunday night on Ovation. The CRS announced the 2013 Country Radio Hall of Fame inductees: Gaylon Christie, Dr. Don […]
Country Stars Remember Kitty Wells; New Little Big Town Album Due in September; Punch Brothers Announce New Tour Dates
Loretta Lynn, Barbara Mandrell, Dolly Parton, and Lee Ann Womack all made statements about Kitty Wells’ passing. Janis Martin’s final album, The Blanco Sessions, will be released on September 18. The album, produced by Rosie Flores and Bobby Trimble, was funded through Kickstarter. (via press release) Punch Brothers announced a bunch of new North American […]
Tim McGraw To Tape Austin City Limits Episode; Canadian Country Music HoF Announces 2012 Inductees; New Music Videos
Richard Thompson, Bonnie Raitt and Booker T. Jones will receive Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Americana Music Association Awards in Nashville this September. The Huffington Post has strong praise for Chely Wright’s new documentary: “Wish Me Away is a powerful, important film of heartbreak and triumph that I honestly believe will save lives, providing gay kids […]
Clear Channel and Big Machine Cut a Deal; New Willie Nelson Video; National Museum of American History Presents Civil War Music
Clear Channel and Big Machine cut a deal “that represents a major bet that radio’s future is online rather than over the air…Under the new accord, Big Machine and its artists will collect royalties when their songs are played on broadcast radio stations, something that has never been part of the U.S. royalty system but […]
Jason Isbell Leads Americana Music Awards Nominations; Buddy Rogers Passes Away; Big Machine Label Group Adds Music Publishing
Jason Isbell leads the Americana Music Awards nominations, with four. Gillian Welch was next, with three nominations. Chet Flippo remembers Doc and Merle Watson: I interviewed Doc with his son Merle (named for Merle Travis) for Rolling Stone a couple of years later, and it turned out to be a delightful time with Doc. He […]
Merle Haggard Makes Surprise Appearances in Nashville; Toby Keith to Celebrate 10 Years of USO Tours; Peggy Seeger Honors Titanic Anniversary with New Song
Want to volunteer at the CMA Music Festival this summer? Peggy Seeger has a new song, “Swim to the Star,” to mark the 100th anniversary of the Titanic’s sinking. Merle Haggard has been making surprise appearances at various events in Nashville. (Barry Mazor will have more on that in his next Roots Watch column on […]
Bakersfield Sound Exhibit Opens; More ACM Awards Performers Announced; How to Grow a Band Documentary to Open in April
Putamayo’s new bluegrass collection, due out in May, includes Alison Krauss & Union Station, Sam Bush, Town Mountain, Peter Rowan, and more. Have a listen here. Shooter Jennings on fitting in with Music Row: I don’t know if I could fit in. I know that I wouldn’t fit happily. I’ve never written with teams of […]
Waylon Jennings’ Family Plans To Release His Last Recordings; Bonnaroo Lineup Revealed; Arnold Schultz Honored
Sarah Jarosz, Punch Brothers, Trampled By Turtles, The Avett Brothers, and several other Americana/roots acts are on this year’s Bonnaroo roster. The A.V. Club has an exclusive stream of “In Between Jobs” from Todd Snider’s upcoming album, Agnostic Hymns and Stoner Fables. Pierce Greenberg of Nashville’s City Paper has some more information about the Johnny […]
It’s fitting that the new single from Shooter Jennings’ upcoming album entitled Family Man (due out March 13) finds him channeling his father with a loose, late ‘70s-flavored country love song. Sung over twangy Telecaster, pedal steel, and the steady thump of a bass drum, the lyrics may lean a bit too hard on the […]
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."