During tonight’s ASCAP Country Music Awards Alan Jackson will be recognized with the organization’s Founder’s Award. In an interview with The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts, Jackson talked about the honor, his oldest daughter leaving for college, and future plans: “He still wants to make a classic bluegrass record, is contemplating another gospel recording and thinks he […]
CMT Music Awards Recaps & Videos; First Day of CMA Fest Cut Short; Willie & Merle Top Americana Chart
CMT Music Awards recaps abound: CMT’s Calvin Gilbert notes that Carrie Underwood went home the big winner. She scored a video of the year trophy buckle for “Cowboy Casanova” and CMT performance of the year for a live version of “Temporary Home,” which was featured on CMT’s concert series Invitation Only. Check the full list […]
Americana Awards Nominees Announced; Shelby Lynne Free At Last; Blake Shelton Celebrates “Hillbilly Bone”
Nominees for the 9th annual Americana Honors & Awards show were announced a couple of days ago. Blake Shelton talked about his latest hit at the No. 1 party for “Hillbilly Bone” on Wednesday: “To be honest with y’all, it’s tough enough to go do interviews with people like Chelsea [Handler] and talk about a […]
Be sure to follow Pierce’s post about flood relief efforts in Nashville. It’ll be updated throughout the day with new information and links to relevant stories. Sammy Kershaw announced his candidacy for Lt. Governor of the state of Louisiana. New releases for the week of May 4, 2010 include: Ashley Ray – Ashley Ray Amazon […]
Since Shelby Lynne has changed musical personas so many times during her more than 20-year career, the effervescent pop opener of Tears, Lies, And Alibis isn’t really a surprise. Then Lynne, the soulful crooner from 2008’s Just A Little Lovin’ (a homage to Dusty Springfield) appears, and for the rest of the the album she’s […]
Flooding Leads to Canceled Shows; Paul English May Have Suffered Stroke; Cody Canada Concussed by Flying Liquor Bottle
In light of current Nashville flooding, here’s a suitable haiku from Country Haiku: How high’s the water? Five feet high and rising … wait Six … seven … oh, crap Consider making a donation to Red Cross to help victims of the flood. Dierks Bentley and Alison Krauss had to cancel concerts due to the […]
Alan Jackson will perform a benefit concert on May 22 for the families of the miners who died earlier this month in an explosion. Charlie Hopper works for an advertising agency. Copywriting is the only career he’s ever had, but one day he got the idea that he should write a song and try to […]
Dale Watson Abides; Early Kristofferson Demos; Herbs Not Required to Enjoy New Jason Boland Live Album
Dale Watson went Nashville. No, he didn’t slick his music up to appeal to a mainstream audience, he went to Nashville to record country music the way it was done in an earlier era and he enlisted studio musicians Pete Wade, Pig Robbins, and Lloyd Green to help create what he calls his dream record. […]
New releases for the week of April 20, 2010 include: Bob Cheevers – Tall Texas Tales Amazon | MySpace Colt Ford – Chicken & Biscuits Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Dailey & Vincent – Singing From the Heart Amazon | iTunes | MySpace David Ball – Sparkle City Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Donna Ulisse […]
Gifted with one of the greatest voices in pop music, Shelby Lynne has been a critical favorite since her debut single in 1988. That song, “If I Could Bottle This Up,” a duet with Country Music Hall of Fame member, George Jones, established her as one of Music Row’s most promising talents. Though she began […]
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.