Ralph Stanley Announces Farewell Tour; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Names Director; Free Ashleigh Flynn Download
Ralph Stanley has announced that he’ll begin his final tour this October. The “Man of Constant Sorrow Tour: The Doctor’s Farewell” is scheduled to run through December 2014. (via press release) Jewly Hight visited Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery, where George Jones, Boudleaux and Felice Bryant, Tammy Wynette, Marty Robbins, Porter Wagoner, and many, many more are […]
Vince Gill Performs with Boston Pops; Shovels & Rope to Release O’ Be Joyful Deluxe Edition; New Valerie Smith, Black Lillies Videos
Producer and Canadian Country Music Hall of Famer Bill Langstroth passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Connie Smith, Bobby Bare, and Sleepy Man Banjo Boys are among the artists who’ll be playing Marty Stuart’s Late Night Jam on June 5 at the Ryman. See any familiar faces in Pistol Annies’ “Hush Hush” video? […]
Library of Congress Reveals National Recording Preservation Plan; Music City Roots Adds Affiliates; Free Vandaveer, Milk Carton Kids Downloads
Doyle Lawson wants to be your valentine. Here he is playing “Love Me Tender” with his band, Quicksilver. Jamey Johnson did a lengthy and revealing Rolling Stone interview. An excerpt: “I wish I could tell you that I am writing. I’m not. I wish I could tell you I’m gonna go home next week and record […]
Randy Travis, Joe Nichols Perform at Chris Kyle’s Memorial; CMT Edge Premieres New Wayne Hancock Song; Album Releases
Ray Price’s cancer remains in remission. Out May 14: Plowboy Records’ You Don’t Know Me: Rediscovering Eddy Arnold. The tribute record features performances by Chuck Mead, Alejandro Escovedo, Pokey LaFarge, Mandy Barnett, Chris Scruggs, Mary Gauthier, and more. Randy Travis and Joe Nichols performed at the memorial service for Chris Kyle, the former Navy […]
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band to Release Remastered Edition of Will the Circle Be Unbroken; Kacey Musgraves’ Debut Drops 3/19; Mike Auldridge Tribute Announced
The Hank Williams Estate “is making over 200 live performance recordings directly available to movie houses, television production companies, and advertising agencies, where before these rare live recordings had never been accessible for licensing directly from the Estate.” Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s seminal 1972 album, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, was remastered from the original […]
Banjo Symposium Coming to UNC-Chapel Hill; Taylor Swift Breaks Digital Sales Record; New Videos from The Flatlanders, Drew Kennedy
Ray Price is working on a new album, reports Markos Papadatos. Here’s the new video for Drew Kennedy’s “Stars in California.” And a video from The Onion: “Country Artist Sings About Real America and Its Meth Addicts.” There’s a neat article on IndyWeek.com about this weekend’s banjo symposium at UNC-Chapel Hill. Joy Kills Sorrow’s “Jason” […]
Jennifer Nettles got married last Saturday to boyfriend Justin Miller. Producer and Columbia Records A&R rep Don DeVito passed away on Friday at the age of 72. He was instrumental in the careers of Bob Dylan, The Byrds, and more. Songwriter Virginia Mae Stauffer passed away earlier this month. Did a group called The Speek […]
The Seldom Scene is one of bluegrass music’s most influential bands, and a vital part of Washington, DC’s vibrant bluegrass history. This year, the band is celebrating its 40th anniversary. We got the chance to talk with guitarist and vocalist (and ENT surgeon) Dr. John Starling, one of the band’s founding members (he’s now retired), […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.