Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Founder Passes Away; Brad Paisley Teams Up with John Fogerty; Free Music from Hayes Carll
Warren Hellman, philanthropist and founder of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, passed away last night at the age of 77 due to complications from leukemia. Taylor Swift and Scotty McCreery were two of the artists who got spoofed in this SNL sketch. News has come out that soulful Etta James is in terminally ill in the last [...]
George Jones headlined a recent Tammy Wynette memorial fundraiser. Jason Aldean took home six Telecasters at last night’s American Country Awards. Catch up on our live blog here and the list of winners here. Bassist Shonna Tucker has left The Drive-By Truckers. David Barbe will play bass for DBT at upcoming shows. Here’s an excerpt [...]
Tim McGraw and Curb Head to Court; Bob Dylan Tribute Album to Feature Kristofferson and Sugarland; Music Videos
A new three million dollar film project called The Identical is in early development in Nashville and will look at the influence that gospel music had on Elvis Presley. The Tennessean had a front page story on Tim McGraw’s legal battles with Curb Records that will be heard in the courts this week. Former One [...]
This is the first of what we hope will be a semi-regular feature highlights some great songs that are inspiring at least one of the Engine 145 writers. The goal will be to find six great tracks that are a bit off the radar from an album released within the last couple of months. While [...]
Keith Urban to Undergo Throat Surgery; Larry Cordle Plans New Project; Give Me the Banjo Airs Tonight
Later this month, Keith Urban will undergo throat surgery to remove a polyp from his vocal cords. He’s planning on honoring pre-existing single song commitments, but other appearances and lengthier performances (including his All for the Hall fundraiser) will be postponed and rescheduled in 2012. Chet Flippo’s newest Nashville Skyline column is all about Vince [...]
Loretta Lynn Cancels Shows Due to Pneumonia; Tennessee Launches Ring of Fire Trail; New Music Videos
76-year-old Loretta Lynn has cancelled two weeks of performances while she rests with a case of pneumonia. Gene Kurtz passed away. The talented musician co-wrote “Treat Her Right” and worked with artists like Charley Pride, Dale Watson, and many more. There is new music (and video) from songstress Emily West called “I Hate You, I [...]
Willie Nelson Plans New Album; Free Trampled By Turtles Download; Dry Branch Fire Squad Celebrates 35 Years
The Soggy Bottom Boys and Tim Blake Nelson have made a music video for “In the Jailhouse Now” to celebrate the 10th anniversary of O Brother. Willie Nelson told CelebStoner.com that he plans on releasing a record called Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die in January 2012. Nashville bass player Chris Kent [...]
Kenny Chesney and Grace Potter to Perform at CMA Awards; Audie Blaylock & Redline Will Perform Free Show; New Song From Gretchen Peters and Rodney Crowell
Gillian Welch and David Rawlings stopped by Good Day L.A. to play a couple songs. Scotty McCreery debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200 and Top Country Albums charts with Clear As Day, making him the youngest male in history to open at the top of the all-genre chart with a debut release. [...]
Bobby Braddock Will Be Honored As Songwriting Icon; Hank Jr. Pulled From Yesterday’s Monday Night Football; New Album Releases
Our long national nightmare is over: Taylor Swift and Kanye West are now on high-fiving terms. Hank Williams, Jr. made a Hitler analogy and ESPN subsequently pulled his theme song before yesterday’s Monday Night Football broadcast. Williams then released a statement saying he was misunderstood. UPDATE: Hank III spoke with TMZ, saying most musicians should [...]
Wonder what those Cherryholmes kids are up to now that the family band is no longer together? BJ is now the fulltime fiddler for Dailey & Vincent, Cia has formed a roots duo with Stetson Adkisson (they’ve got an EP due out later this year), Skip’s got the Skip Cherryholmes Quintet, and Molly Kate (now [...]
- Barry Mazor: The assumption that everybody would be signed if only they could be no longer is necessarily so..Given the relatively much ...
- Luckyoldsun: Can't say I necessarily know who is or isn't signed, but I have no knowledge that any of the following ...
- Occasional Hope: Is Patty Loveless free now, since she's implied she doesn't seem to have any plans to record again, but perhaps ...
- Arlene: Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison's current terrific album, Cheater's Game, was financed via Kickstarter. If they are still unsigned, they'd ...
- KC: My picks seem to be doing ok without a label, but I would sign them even if it was just ...
- SCOOTER: Sturgill Simpson - fantastic artist Ashton Shepherd - I know she was recently dropped and a lot of people complain ...
- Daniel Mullins: Lee Ann Womack is a must. I would also sign Wyatt McCubbin. He was featured on The Music Inside: A Tribute ...
- Ken Morton, Jr.: BTW- Julie's been in the recording studio all this past week and will be unveiling something new soon.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jonathan, I actually had this exact conversation with Julie Roberts a couple weeks ago. She came out with Emily West, ...
- Jack Williams: The first name that came to my mind was electic bluesman Alvin Youngblood Hart. He hasn't released a proper ...