Hall of Fame Receives NEH Grant; “Blown Away” Goes Double Platinum; Rhett Miller Injures Vocal Cords
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum received a $280,000 NEH grant to help the HoF digitize fragile and rare artifacts in the museum’s collection. The Band Perry’s Pioneer sold 129,000 copies in its first week. Performing rights organizations SESAC, ASCAP, and BMI have launched programs “dedicated to boosting royalty-sharing for smaller acts,” writes Jaquetta […]
New Muscle Shoals Trailer; Chris Young to Receive CMA Triple Play Award; Blue Sky Riders to Release Debut 1/29
Watch the trailer for Muscle Shoals, a new documentary from director Greg “Freddy” Camalier. (warning: autoplay) Here’s another gem from UNC’s Southern Folklife Collection: Maybelle Carter talking about the autoharp with Archie Green and A. Doyle Moore and playing a bit in a recording made at Earl Scruggs’ house in 1962. Kris Kristofferson talks about […]
Music Photographer Ken Regan Passes Away; New Kristofferson Album Due in January; CMT Edge Offers Free Sampler
Kris Kristofferson’s next record, Feeling Mortal, will be available on iTunes 1/22. The physical release is one week later. (via press release) Photographer Ken Regan died of cancer on November 25. RollingStone.com posted a gallery of some of Regan’s music photography, including shots of Johnny Cash, Neil Young, and Bob Dylan. Dolly Parton was on The Colbert Report yesterday. Watch […]
Lyle Lovett to Receive ASCAP Creative Voice Award; Legal Battle Over Right to Use Bill Monroe’s Name; New Ryan Bingham Video
Scott Bernstein of Glide Magazine did a song-by-song recap (with a few videos) of Wednesday’s Love for Levon concert. The concert was also reviewed in the New York Times and American Songwriter. There’s a legal battle going on about the right to use Bill Monroe’s name: Campbell “Doc” Mercer can’t use Monroe’s likeness or name […]
In October, Eric Church will record back-to-back shows in Chattanooga with plans to release a live album in 2013. Emmylou Harris and Mumford and Sons will tape an episode of CMT Crossroads that’s slated to air September 20. Performing Songwriter posted excerpts of a 1995 interview with Hal David. Emily Robison and her boyfriend welcomed […]
Barry Gibb made his Grand Ole Opry debut this past Friday night. “I have dreamed of performing on the hallowed stage of the Opry since I was 12 years old. So this is a dream come true for me,” Gibb was quoted as saying. “There is no greater honor.” He and Ricky Skaggs played “When […]
CMT Music Awards Winners; Free Tift Merritt Download; Ernest Tubb Record Shops Celebrate 65th Anniversary
Thompson Square, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Scotty McCreery, and Lady Antebellum took home buckles at last night’s CMT Music Awards. Country California posted videos of the evening’s best performances by the Zac Brown Band, Pistol Annies, and a few others. Tift Merritt is offering a free download of an […]
Jason Isbell Leads Americana Music Awards Nominations; Buddy Rogers Passes Away; Big Machine Label Group Adds Music Publishing
Jason Isbell leads the Americana Music Awards nominations, with four. Gillian Welch was next, with three nominations. Chet Flippo remembers Doc and Merle Watson: I interviewed Doc with his son Merle (named for Merle Travis) for Rolling Stone a couple of years later, and it turned out to be a delightful time with Doc. He […]
Toby Keith and Kristen Bell Tapped to Host CMT Awards; Taylor Swift is Billboard’s Woman of the Year; New Music Videos
Turnstyled Junkpiled offers helpful hints for any budding country songwriters out there: There is a proper way to go about writing a hit Country song, a formula I call, “Tractors, Trucks, Fishing, Beer and Jesus.” To garner the attention of Nashville labels, simply use these hillbilly buzzwords as bait in the song title (the more, […]
Chris Ethridge Passes Away; The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band & Kenny Chesney Join NBC Summer Concert Series; Album Releases
Chris Ethridge (Flying Burrito Brothers) passed away yesterday due to complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 65. Watch Abigail Washburn’s TED talk about building international relations with the help of a banjo. A quote from the video: “I see the power of music to connect cultures. I see it when I stand on a stage at […]
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …