Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
The nominees for the Inspirational Country Music Awards were announced yesterday. Awards will be handed out at the 2013 ICM Faith, Family and Country Convention and Awards in Nashville on 10/24. John Rich has a deal for a new television series on the TV Guide Network. Music journalist, MGM record-label executive, educator and author Mort […]
Kellie Pickler Embarks on Sixth USO Tour; Ray Price, Willie Nelson Work on New Albums; Carrie Underwood Donates Concert Proceeds to Charity
Kellie Pickler embarked on her sixth USO Tour, entertaining service members in Afghanistan and aboard the USS John C. Stennis. Songs by Jerry Lee Lewis, Tom T. Hall, and Alejandro Escovedo made The A.V. Club’s list of “14 panicky works about growing older.” Vince Gill shows off his guitars in this video for Musician’s Friend. […]
RaeLynn, the only country artist among the final 12 of last season’s The Voice, has signed a record deal with Republic Nashville. Former Dreamworks singer-songwriter Sarah Buxton has started a new band called Skyline Motel with Daniel Tashian, Kate York, and Ian Fitchuk. Kellie Pickler sat down with Entertainment Weekly and talked about her recent […]
With smart songwriting sensibilities and Texas everyman vocals, Stoney LaRue’s long overdue second studio album Velvet is worth the wait. LaRue and his producers, Frank Liddell (Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram and Lee Ann Womack) and Mike McCarthy (Patty Griffin), have combined meaningful lyrics with a production sound that would have been interesting all by itself. […]
Larry Cordle Schedules New Album and Three Singles; Will, Wills and Willie; Introduction to the Westbound Rangers
Larry Cordle has a new album, Pud Marcum’s Hangin’, scheduled for a March 15 release and three singles scheduled for release tomorrow. For country fans, Cordle offers his own expressive version of a song first recorded by country star Trace Adkins in 2008, “Sometimes a Man Takes a Drink.” The lighthearted “Uncle Bob Got Religion,” […]
Miranda Lambert Sets CMA Awards Record; ‘CMA Music Festival’ Airs Tonight; Joey+Rory To Tour with Don Williams
Even if Miranda Lambert doesn’t win anything at the upcoming CMA Awards (highly unlikely), it’ll still be quite a year. She scored several more nominations today in the following categories: entertainer of the year, female vocalist of the year, album of the year for Revolution, and she has a part in the musical event of […]
Joe Galante’s Departure; Lyric Street Closing; Blake Shelton Lands Record Fish; Rodney Hayden & Friends Lineup
Sony Music Nashville head honcho Joe Galante — the man responsible for launching/guiding the careers of acts like Kenny Chesney, Martina McBride, Chris Young, Carrie Underwood, and many more — announced his plans to leave the company after a nearly 40-year career. Galante is expected to assist his replacement, Gary Overton, transition into his CEO […]
There was a ton of country music released in February, a great deal of which never found its way onto the pages of The 9513. Here are abbreviated album reviews of last month’s under-the-radar music. Lightning From The North – .357 String Band The third release from this scrappy Milwaukee quartet is bursting at the […]
McGraw and Jackson Added to CMA Music Fest; Country’s Bad Rap; Industry Veteran Jim Halsey Releases New Book
Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Billy Currington, and Kellie Pickler are the latest entertainers added to the CMA Music Fest lineup. I missed the release of Chris King‘s new, six-song Bexar County EP in Tuesday’s new release list. (iTunes) Top Country Albums Even Country Haters Should Own CMT’s Craig Shelburne introduced the new black-and-white, acoustic video […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...