Willie Nelson Announces New Album; “All 4 the Hall” Raises $600K; CMA Music Festival Adds Free Shows
Willie Nelson will release Band of Brothers on June 17. The track listing includes nine new songs (including this one) and Willie’s versions of “Whenever You Come Around” and “The Git Go,” which will be a duet with Jamey Johnson. Last night’s “All 4 the Hall” benefit concert raised an estimated $600,000 for the Country […]
Ray Price Battles Sepsis; Dale Watson to Reopen Ginny’s Little Longhorn Saloon; Is Folk Music Possible Anymore?
Ray Price developed a case of sepsis while in the hospital. This post on his official Facebook page says that Price is stable for now. Here’s a video for “Blacktop,” shot at Alan Jackson’s Station Inn show. Geoffrey Himes for Paste: Is folk music even possible anymore? By “folk music,” I refer not to the […]
Today we’re proud to premiere Texas singer-songwriter Sam Baker’s new video for “isn’t love great,” a song from his new, self-produced, self-released album say grace (out August 27), a no-frills collection that’ll appeal to fans of artists like John Prine and John Fullbright. “isn’t love great” resides far from the coiffed hair and capped teeth […]
The Band of Heathens will release their fourth album, Sunday Morning Record, on September 17. Listen to the first single here. Fiddlin’ Dwight Moody (The Virginia Playboys, WBT Briarhoppers) passed away on Friday at the age of 83. Todd Snider announced a fall solo tour. Rhonda Vincent and Willie Nelson sang a duet together that’ll appear […]
Charlie Louvin will turn 83 tomorrow (July 7), but of more pressing concern to the country legend is the recent diagnosis from his doctor–stage 2 pancreatic cancer. He’ll have to go in for a six-hour surgery on July 22, but hopes to be performing a month later. New releases for the week of July 6, […]
Cross Canadian Ragweed is going on an indefinite hiatus. Willie Nelson on mainstream country music: In my opinion, it’s a little watered down now. The mainstream country music that I hear–to me, it’s not really country, and it’s not really anything. So it may be pleasing to the ear, and that’s great, but as far […]
Peter Cooper recapped last night’s ACM Honors, which seemed to be the kind of event that should be televised in the place of the regular ACM Awards. If Williams had attended, he probably would have enjoyed the musical performances, which included medleys of his hits by Jamey Johnson and The Grascals and a smashing version […]
The 2009 International Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame inductees are The Lonesome Pine Fiddlers and The Dillards. Tiffany, an ’80s pop star, told The Huntsville Times that she hopes to have a country project together by the end of the year. “I’ve had success after 20 years, and my fans have really been supportive of […]
The third and final day of the Big Valley Jamboree near Camrose, Alberta was canceled due to severe gusts of wind that caused the mainstage to collapse on Saturday, killing one person an injuring 75 others. One of the injured was country singer Billy Currington (black eye), who was on the stage at the time […]
Time Life plans to periodically release 143 previously-unreleased Hank Williams‘ recordings over a three year period. The recordings were made in 1951 for Williams’ show on radio station WSM-AM in Nashville and were sponsored by Mother’s Best flour. Watch Jason Isbell perform “Dress Blues” live at Stubb’s in Austin, TX, then go read the story […]
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …