Dolly Parton and Wanda Jackson Hit VH1; Ray Wylie Hubbard Plans New Album and Memoir; New Gretchen Peters Video
Dolly Parton will serve as a presenter and Wanda Jackson will perform on VH1 Divas Celebrates Soul, which is going to air on December 19. Mavis Staples will also perform. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are paying for bluesman Hubert Sumlin’s funeral. Ray Wylie Hubbard’s got big plans for 2012, with an album (called The […]
Sunny Sweeney Releases Holiday Single; Farce the Music Offers Benefit Compilation; Dobie Gray and Barbara Orbison Pass Away
Dobie Gray passed away yesterday at the age of 71. Barbara Orbison, widow of Roy Orbison, also passed away yesterday (the 23rd anniversary of Roy’s death). She was 60 years old. Gretchen Peters has a new blog entry up about the song “Camille,” written with Matraca Berg and Suzy Bogguss. “Camille” will be on Peters’ […]
Jennifer Nettles got married last Saturday to boyfriend Justin Miller. Producer and Columbia Records A&R rep Don DeVito passed away on Friday at the age of 72. He was instrumental in the careers of Bob Dylan, The Byrds, and more. Songwriter Virginia Mae Stauffer passed away earlier this month. Did a group called The Speek […]
Did Patty Griffin and Robert Plant marry? Sunny Sweeney definitely got married to her longtime boyfriend in Vegas last Friday. Another love connection: Vince Gill and Miss Piggy. Here’s this week’s edition of Quotable Country. Dierks Bentley and Will Hoge will play the Ryman on February 2, just five days before Bentley’s album, Home, drops. […]
Nudie Cohn Gets Hall of Fame Exhibit; Mumford and Sons Debut New Song; Goat Rodeo Sessions on Colbert Report
Last week the Country Music Hall of Fame unveiled a spotlight exhibit dedicated to dazzling clothier Nudie Cohn. The exhibit will run through November 2012. Chris Parton of CMT spoke with Robert Ellis about his new, classic country-influenced album, Photographs. The Huffington Post featured an article on the Bluegrass Underground concert series, which is held […]
Lionel Richie to Perform at CMA Awards; Prairie Home Companion to Celebrate Bill Monroe; New Jason Isbell Video
The Civil Wars were featured in the New York Times. They talk about their first meeting (while working with other songwriters on material for a band that would become Gloriana) and the idea behind the band name. 41 years ago, Roger Ebert wrote the first review of a John Prine performance. Ryan Adams, Janis Ian, […]
Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” made TIME’s list of the Top 100 English language pop songs since the magazine’s inception in 1923. Jewly Hight of American Songwriter chatted with Shelby Lynne. An excerpt: When I walked into Nashville at 18 years old, I wasn’t encouraged to write anything. It wasn’t top of my list of […]
Ryan Bingham takes the Men’s Health psychology quiz, reveals his love for Jameson’s whiskey and Disney movies. Our Canadian radio friend Dave Woods chatted with Oak Ridge Boy Joe Bonsall about the band’s Opry induction and new album It’s Only Natural. Vince Gill will appear on QVC Tuesday, October 11 at noon (Eastern) to perform […]
Rascal Flatts Invited to Join Opry; Ryan Adams Announces New Tour Dates; Chris Pandolfi Delivers IBMA Keynote Address
Rascal Flatts was invited to join the Grand Ole Opry last night. Next Wednesday (October 5), Elizabeth Cook will be on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. On the 9th, the episode of Squidbillies on which she voiced the character of “Tammi” and covered the show’s theme song will air. Other news from the […]
Johnnie Wright, of Johnnie and Jack, passed away at the age of 97. He had been married to Kitty Wells since 1937. Paul Kirby of the Cactus Brothers passed away on Sunday. He was 48. Stream the upcoming Merle Haggard record Working in Tennessee (out October 4). Stream Ryan Adams’ Ashes & Fire at NPR. […]
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …