Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” made TIME’s list of the Top 100 English language pop songs since the magazine’s inception in 1923. Jewly Hight of American Songwriter chatted with Shelby Lynne. An excerpt: When I walked into Nashville at 18 years old, I wasn’t encouraged to write anything. It wasn’t top of my list of […]
Ryan Bingham takes the Men’s Health psychology quiz, reveals his love for Jameson’s whiskey and Disney movies. Our Canadian radio friend Dave Woods chatted with Oak Ridge Boy Joe Bonsall about the band’s Opry induction and new album It’s Only Natural. Vince Gill will appear on QVC Tuesday, October 11 at noon (Eastern) to perform […]
Rascal Flatts Invited to Join Opry; Ryan Adams Announces New Tour Dates; Chris Pandolfi Delivers IBMA Keynote Address
Rascal Flatts was invited to join the Grand Ole Opry last night. Next Wednesday (October 5), Elizabeth Cook will be on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. On the 9th, the episode of Squidbillies on which she voiced the character of “Tammi” and covered the show’s theme song will air. Other news from the […]
Johnnie Wright, of Johnnie and Jack, passed away at the age of 97. He had been married to Kitty Wells since 1937. Paul Kirby of the Cactus Brothers passed away on Sunday. He was 48. Stream the upcoming Merle Haggard record Working in Tennessee (out October 4). Stream Ryan Adams’ Ashes & Fire at NPR. […]
Martina McBride Rides the Rails; Del McCoury to Release Bill Monroe Tribute Record; Infamous Stringdusters Host Online Listening Party
George Strait’s “Here For a Good Time” became his 84th Top 10 single, while the album of the same name became his 24th #1. Cool cat and former Blue Grass Boy Del McCoury has a Bill Monroe tribute record scheduled for digital release on September 27 (vinyl will be released October 25). Gretchen Peters posted […]
Dallas Wayne’s Home Destroyed by Fire; Sammy Shelor Awarded Steve Martin Prize; Miranda Lambert Reveals Album Cover Art
The Iowa Source posted a feature on Tom Russell. An excerpt: Southern California was where Tom was birthed—both bodily and musically. The mariachi bands and the FM radio from across the border, mixed with the musicals on the family stereo and musicians, comedians, and poets performing in LA, created a rich, embryonic stew. Sammy Shelor […]
Mike Ragogna chatted with Suzy Bogguss about her latest album, American Folk Songbook. The9513.com alum Pierce Greenberg looked on as Rodney Atkins shot scenes for a music video atop a water tower in White Bluff, Tennessee. The newest Give Me My XXX compilation features Whitey Morgan & The 78s, Jason Isbell, and more. Download it […]
Infamous Stringduster Chris Pandolfi is giving one of the keynote addresses at this year’s IBMA business conference. On his blog he offers some thoughts on where IBMA could go in the future. Ted Lehmann has also written a thoughtful essay in response to a few of Pandolfi’s blog posts about the direction of IBMA. Rich […]
If you weren’t at the Newport Folk Festival, or just want to relive it, check out NPR’s streams and downloads of artists like the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Wanda Jackson, Chris Thile & Michael Daves, and lots more. The newest edition of Quotable Country. Country singer Jack Barlow has passed away. Opry Pioneer Trudy Stamper has […]
Here’s 20 of country music’s best hotel and motel songs. Apologies for excluding Neal McCoy’s “Hillbilly Rap.” Honorable Mentions: Cadillac Sky – “Motel Morning” David Houston – “No Tell Motel” Eagles – “Hotel California” Gene Watson – “Love in the Hot Afternoon” Guy Clark – “Lone Star Hotel” Jack Ingram & Jerry Jeff Walker – […]
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!
- Arlene: Another loss. Here's one of my favorite Jesse Winchester performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E
- bob: I like that Wendy Colonna song. I'll have to check out more of her music. I have the 2 Delbert & …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Holy moly, that Peter Cooper article on Ray Price is a doozy. I haven't yet had a chance to listen …
- Juli Thanki: Update from The Commercial Appeal: One of music’s sweetest voices and most incisive songwriters, Jesse Winchester, has died. The 69 …
- Barry Mazor: A very good case could be made that the Newport "Folk" festival is now an Americana festival--the two not …
- TexasVet: Here's Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris & Carrie Underwood singing "Blue Bayou" Last night at the Rock and Roll Hall of …
- Jeff Miller: That Peter Cooper double shot is powerful!