On this date in 1901, a young boy was born in New York who would go on to change modern media as we know it. At the age of 47, Ed Sullivan would take the still-relatively-new media of television and start the variety show called simply, Toast of the Town. (It would eventually be renamed […]
Music journalist Patsi Bale Cox passed away at the age of 66. She was credited with books on Loretta Lynn, Wynonna Judd, Ralph Emery, George Jones and more. A benefit concert being held by George Jones will fund the construction of a memorial in honor of country music star Tammy Wynette in Mississippi. It will […]
Lullabies have been sung in many languages and music genres going all the way back to 1072, when they were first mentioned by a Turkish writer. And while most people immediately think of a loving and mellow tune sung to bring comfort and sleep to countless babies, country artists haven’t always been so light-hearted in […]
Billy Joe Shaver is recovering from minor heart surgery and is expected to resume performing in August. Even with pancreatic cancer Charlie Louvin maintains his optimism and seems as vital as ever. Funny or Die, the comedy website co-founded by Will Ferrell, posted a new video featuring Jewel in disguise performing at a karaoke bar. […]
Steve Martin’s Leaked Tour Rider; Dale Watson, Trace Adkins, Little Big Town, & Sugarland Schedule New Albums
A few details from Steve Martin‘s leaked tour rider: Wardrobe: Nothing constricting or scratchy, except for Steve’s thong. Venue must have Bela Fleck on speed dial, in case Steve’s feeling lazy. Golf cart(s) must be available to transport Steve and the Steep Canyon Rangers from dressing room area to the stage. If distance is less […]
And now let’s get things started Why don’t you get things started It’s time to get things started On the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational This is what we call the Muppet Show! Don’t deny it. You were singing along just now… Kermit taught us that it’s not easy being green. Or in Gonzo’s case, […]
Today I guest write on Juli Thanki’s Friday Five not because she’s on vacation–mentally nor physically–but because we wanted to pay tribute to one particular little part of her that we adore. For those that have gotten the privilege to know her, Juli has a wonderful and twisted sense of humor, and nowhere is that […]
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on the website 2steppin.com, and has been reprinted here with permission. This comprehensive look at race relations in country music was written prior to the rise of Darius Rucker as a hitmaker. The 9513 would love to hear your comments about race in country music today, and about […]
Acuff, Rogers & Evans, and Monroe Head to Grammy Hall of Fame; Unfinished Hank Williams Song Finally Released
The Recording Academy inducted 25 songs into the Grammy Hall of Fame yesterday. Songs in the country category are: Roy Acuff & The Crazy Tennesseans – “Great Speckled Bird” (Amazon) Roy Rogers & Dale Evans – “Happy Trails” (Amazon) Bill Monroe And His Blue Grass Boys – “Mule Skinner Blues” (Amazon) On the surface, Rosanne […]
Christie’s Country Sale; Taylor Swift Inks Deal to Write Greeting Cards; New Music Magazine Launches in January
On December 3, Christie’s will hold The Country Music Sale, its first sale dedicated to the creation, history, and evolution of Country Music. The foundation of the sale consists of property from the estate of Hank Thompson, but also includes memorabilia from Roy Rogers, Hank Snow, Hank Williams, and many more classic country artists. There […]
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.