The New York Times published George Hamilton IV’s obituary today. Robert K. Oermann wrote one for MusicRow. Jim Ed Brown will release his first solo album in 30 years, In Style Again, on Plowboy Records in January. (via press release) Randy Travis attended a fundraiser in Denison, Tex. yesterday. The photos accompanying the article show […]
Los Angeles-based Americana band Rose’s Pawn Shop releases their third album, Gravity Well, on September 9. A couple weeks before that record drops, they’ll kick off an extensive tour that includes stops at Riot Fest Chicago and Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. For today’s Friday Five, we asked the guys in the band to share their favorite […]
George Riddle Passes Away; Shel Silverstein Biopic in Development; Swift, Church to Play iHeartRadio Fest
George Riddle, one of George Jones’ Jones Boys and the writer of songs like “Hall of Shame,” passed away. He was 78 years old. Robert K. Oermann wrote an obituary for Riddle that’s published at MusicRow.com. Variety reports that there’s a Shel Silverstein biopic in the works. The film, currently under development by Wonderland Sound […]
Kenny Rogers, Ryan Bingham, The Greencards, Buddy Miller, Caitlin Rose and more have all recorded their own songs about wells of the wishing and non-wishing varieties, but here are my five favorites. 5. “The Well” – Rose’s Pawn Shop Drowning in a well of sorrow sounds doesn’t sound like much fun, but if this rowdy […]
Trying to describe the sound of Rose’s Pawn Shop typically involves the use of several hyphens or unlikely comparisons. However, when you have a punk-bluegrass-Celtic-country-rock band that sounds like what would have happened if The Pogues had formed in Kentucky, an easy description doesn’t come easy. While trying to classify the music may be frustrating, […]
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.