Since my September 2008 article, Charlie McCoy, Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark, Don Williams, Billy Sherrill, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean have been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. As I noted, for decades the Country Music Hall of Fame was caught in the position where many deserving performers died before their turn for […]
This is meant neither to be a comprehensive list of great country songs from the 1970s, nor any sort of ranking of records; It’s just a list of some songs that I liked and remember. See if you recall any of these records “Cowboy Convention” – Buddy Alan A silly record with some great trumpet […]
Brad Paisley joins Keith Urban by dipping into a previous album for his next single. “Waitin’ On A Woman,” from his Time Well Wasted album, was released to radio yesterday and Andy Griffith will appear in the video that’s due out later this year. EW’s Popwatch Blog looks at what Nashville Star did right during […]
Word has it that guit-steel inventor Junior Brown shot three pilot episodes for the Junior Brown Show last Tuesday. Negotiations with possible outlets are just beginning, but the show is modeled after country music programs from the 1960s like The Porter Wagoner Show. “Along with selections from Brown’s catalog, each episode also spotlights a different […]
Songs like Johnny Cash’s “Hurt”, Martina McBride’s “Independence Day”, and George Strait’s “Amarillo by Morning” chartered considerably lower than other songs from these artists’ catalogs, but are sometimes considered signature songs; even over higher charting singles. With that in mind, Country Universe wants to know: What is the definition of a hit? Sarah Borges, Lucinda […]
Only six days left until we announce the winners for the Big State Festival contest, so if you haven’t entered yet head over to the contest page and leave us a comment. While you’re at it, check out some of the contests on the Big State Festival website. I particularly like the one titled “The […]
Think about the most exciting act you’ve ever seen perform live; who was it? Hazel Smith says for her it was Roy Acuff and the Smoky Mountain Boys. Acuff would be twirling his fiddle bow as Bashful Brother Oswald bellowed a hee-haw as he made his Dobro scream. Onie Wheeler would honk that harmonica and […]
Joe Samuel Starnes recalls his first Willie Nelson Fourth of July Picnic for The New York Times. His show was transcendent. That’s a highfalutin word that I would almost never use, but I honestly felt as if I were taking a trip back in time to another era, through Willie’s guitar and voice and the […]
Bon Jovi’s attempt at a country album, Lost Highway, is set to hit stores on June 19. The first single from the album, “(You Want To) Make a Memory,” will make its way to radio today. Rapper Paul Wall recently recorded in Willie Nelson’s studio, but left disappointed after he didn’t meet Willie himself, “I […]
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves
- joyce King: I love FALL, the day your album Sept.25th is our wedding anniversary 46th!!! We have a fall Bean Supper, …
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.