Dobro whiz Mike Auldridge passed away on December 29, a day before his 74th birthday. Here are obituaries from the Washington Post, MusicRow.com, The New York Times, and Bluegrass Today (which also posted a career overview). Eric Brace remembers Auldridge. As does Peter Cooper. CMT’s Edward Morris lists the “notable country music deaths” of 2012. [...]
Kellie Pickler Embarks on Sixth USO Tour; Ray Price, Willie Nelson Work on New Albums; Carrie Underwood Donates Concert Proceeds to Charity
Kellie Pickler embarked on her sixth USO Tour, entertaining service members in Afghanistan and aboard the USS John C. Stennis. Songs by Jerry Lee Lewis, Tom T. Hall, and Alejandro Escovedo made The A.V. Club’s list of “14 panicky works about growing older.” Vince Gill shows off his guitars in this video for Musician’s Friend. [...]
Aldean, Swift & Underwood Among People’s Choice Award Nominees; Watch The King of Broken Hearts Trailer; Sara Watkins on Mountain Stage
Elizabeth Cook chats with actor Rainn Wilson in this entertaining video interview. Then they play “Ramblin’ Man.” Clint Black, Vince Gill, and Jana Kramer are “among the 125 signatories of an open letter opposing internet radio station Pandora’s Congressional request to lower its royalty payment rates.” Yesterday there was a news item about the Jim Lauderdale documentary, The [...]
Don’t try this at home. You wouldn’t do well in prison. 5. Rosanne Cash – “Burn Down This Town” Cash paints a bleak, eerie picture with this song from Black Cadillac: “The hills are burnin’, fields turn to steel / The big house is haunted with what we don’t feel / All the streets are empty, no [...]
ACM Donates $2.5 Million to Hall of Fame; New Wanda Jackson Album Due in October; Miranda Lambert on Voice Rest
The Academy of Country Music will donate $2.5 million to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum to help underwrite the “ACM Contemporary Gallery,” which will showcase trends in modern country music. Wanda Jackson’s got a new album in the works. Unfinished Business, due out October 9, will be produced by Justin Townes Earle [...]
Doc Watson Hospitalized; Johnny Cash Music Fest Announces Lineup; Ronnie Dunn’s Facebook Posts Trouble His Label
Doc Watson was hospitalized after a fall earlier this week. After taking a turn for the worse, he was airlifted to a Winston-Salem hospital and underwent surgery to clear an impacted colon. According to Bluegrass Today’s sources, the surgery was a success, and Watson’s entire colon was removed. Rosanne Cash, Willie Nelson, Dierks Bentley, and [...]
CMT Awards Performers Announced; Rosanne Cash Narrates BBC Radio Program About Bobbie Gentry; Album Releases
Stream Willie Nelson’s new album, Heroes and the collection Jail House Bound: John Lomax’s First Southern Prison Recordings, 1933. The Infamous Stringdusters have announced the lineup for their shindig, The Festy. This year’s performers will include Trampled By Turtles, Della Mae, Tony Trischka Territory, The Steel Wheels, and more. Tickets for The Festy, which will [...]
Zooey Deschanel to Play Loretta Lynn in “Coal Miner’s Daughter” Stage Adaptation; Kenny Rogers Signs with Warner Bros., Goat Rodeo Sessions Hit PBS
Zooey Deschanel will play Loretta Lynn in a stage adaptation of Coal Miner’s Daughter: Lynn announced the casting and musical during a performance at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on Thursday, where she was joined onstage by Deschanel. The two then sang the country music singer’s signature song, “Coal Miner’s Daughter.” “It’s a long way from [...]
Ricky Skaggs Celebrates 30-Year Opry Anniversary; Kitty Wells is Still the Queen; New Zac Brown Band and Doyle Lawson Videos
Craig Havighurst of Music City Roots and String Theory Media gave a TED talk recently. Check it out. Punch Brothers taped an episode of Austin City Limits earlier this week. In Opry news, Ricky Skaggs will celebrate his 30th anniversary as an Opry member on May 15, and on May 8, Alan Jackson will preview songs [...]
Chris Ethridge Passes Away; The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band & Kenny Chesney Join NBC Summer Concert Series; Album Releases
Chris Ethridge (Flying Burrito Brothers) passed away yesterday due to complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 65. Watch Abigail Washburn’s TED talk about building international relations with the help of a banjo. A quote from the video: “I see the power of music to connect cultures. I see it when I stand on a stage at [...]
- Barry Mazor: The assumption that everybody would be signed if only they could be no longer is necessarily so..Given the relatively much ...
- Luckyoldsun: Can't say I necessarily know who is or isn't signed, but I have no knowledge that any of the following ...
- Occasional Hope: Is Patty Loveless free now, since she's implied she doesn't seem to have any plans to record again, but perhaps ...
- Arlene: Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison's current terrific album, Cheater's Game, was financed via Kickstarter. If they are still unsigned, they'd ...
- KC: My picks seem to be doing ok without a label, but I would sign them even if it was just ...
- SCOOTER: Sturgill Simpson - fantastic artist Ashton Shepherd - I know she was recently dropped and a lot of people complain ...
- Daniel Mullins: Lee Ann Womack is a must. I would also sign Wyatt McCubbin. He was featured on The Music Inside: A Tribute ...
- Ken Morton, Jr.: BTW- Julie's been in the recording studio all this past week and will be unveiling something new soon.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jonathan, I actually had this exact conversation with Julie Roberts a couple weeks ago. She came out with Emily West, ...
- Jack Williams: The first name that came to my mind was electic bluesman Alvin Youngblood Hart. He hasn't released a proper ...