Reba, Brooks & Dunn Announce Vegas Residency; Ian McLagan Passes Away; Punch Brothers Release New Song
Ian McLagan passed away yesterday in his adopted hometown of Austin. He was 69 years old. The New York Times’ obit focuses on Small Faces and his work with the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, and Bruce Springsteen, but he also played keys on numerous country and roots records: in the last couple years, he appeared on recordings […]
Adam Hood discusses songwriting and his new album in this CMT Edge Q&A. Bloodshot Records get some love from hometown paper The Chicago Tribune. If you’ve got an hour, check out this BBC documentary, Bob Harris: My Nashville. Here’s a new Punch Brothers song called “Blow It Off.” It’ll be on their next album, which […]
CMT Names Artists of the Year; Stream Jerry Lee Lewis, Cale Tyson Albums; 180,000 Attend World of Bluegrass
Mindy Smith reflects on One Moment More, which turns 10 this year. Yesterday The New York Times published Paul Craft’s obituary. Jerry Lee Lewis on his country music recordings: “It wasn’t necessary for me to play country. I did it because of the material. I couldn’t find good rock’n’roll songs by the late ’60s. Nobody […]
John A. Brown, one of the two men convicted in the 1973 murders of Stringbean and Estelle Akeman, has been granted parole. The Tennessean reports that Brown, who had been up for parole six times prior to yesterday’s hearing, when he appeared “before five of the seven members of the Tennessee Board of Parole. Four […]
Americana music organized itself as this millennium approached. Over fourteen years later, the general sense of where its musical core lies (even with living, evolving outer borders), is better understood than ever before by anyone who cares to understand. Partly a format (see: Chart), nearly a genre, certainly a lively arena, maybe it’s not yet […]
Ryman to Host George Hamilton IV’s Memorial Service; NPR Premieres Lucinda Williams’ New Album, New Music Videos
A memorial service for George Hamilton IV will be held at the Ryman on Wednesday morning. Garth Brooks has confirmed that his new, currently-untitled album is coming out November 11. Stream Lucinda Williams’ new double album, Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone, on NPR. The Tennessean’s Peter Cooper wrote one of the best Lee […]
Everyone’s doing the ALS ice bucket challenge, but Dolly Parton’s is the best. Don’t forget to set your DVRs for George Strait’s concert special on CMT this evening. Little Richard was in a car accident in Murfreesboro on Monday when an SUV he was riding in was hit by another car. Both vehicles sustained major damage, but […]
Lori McKenna will release a ten-song album called Numbered Doors on September 23. Cindy Watts reported in The Tennessean that Johnny Cash’s boyhood home is fully renovated and ready for its grand opening on August 16 in Dyess, Arkansas. Ticketmaster broke when tickets for Garth Brooks’ Atlanta concerts went on sale. We’d like to send some well wishes […]
Rosanne Cash Testifies Before Congress; RCA Studio A May be Sold; Larry Sparks Celebrates 50 Years in Music
Rosanne Cash is testifying on behalf of the Americana Music Association before the House Judiciary Committee today in support of artists’ rights. Here is a transcript of her testimony. The whole thing is worth a read, and the fact that 600,000 song streams on a music subscription site earned Cash only $114 is mind-boggling. Stream […]
The nominees for the 2014 Americana Honors & Awards were named yesterday (check our Facebook page later today for Barry Mazor’s exclusive photos from yesterday’s announcement shindig): Album of the Year: Sarah Jarosz – Build Me Up from Bones, Robert Ellis – The Lights from the Chemical Plant, Rosanne Cash – The River and the […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.