The IBMA Awards were last night. Here are the winners: Hall of Fame Inductees: Tony Rice and Paul Warren Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Album of the Year: Balsam Range, Papertown Instrumental Group of the Year: The Boxcars Vocal Group of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Song of the Year: The Gibson Brothers, […]
George Strait Inks New MCA Deal; Initial IBMA Awards Performers & Presenters Announced; Stream The Coal Men’s New Album
George Strait was celebrated at a private event at Nashville’s Schermerhorn Symphony Center last night. Strait recently inked a deal to record five more albums for his longtime label MCA. The Gibson Brothers, Del McCoury Band, and Rhonda Vincent & The Rage are among the acts confirmed as performers at this year’s IBMA Awards. The […]
IBMA Award Winners Announced; Reba Won’t Return to Host 2013 ACM Awards; Mumford and Sons on Pace for 2012′s Biggest Debut Week
The IBMA Awards were held yesterday. Congratulations to the winners: Bluegrass Hall of Fame Inductees: Doyle Lawson, Ralph Rinzler Distinguished Achievement Award Recipients: Byron Berline, Joe & Lil Cornett, Orin Friesen, Pee Wee Lambert, Kitsy Kuykendall Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Vocal Group of the Year: Blue Highway Instrumental Group of the Year: […]
Few artists have changed the landscape of music like Earl Scruggs, whose three-fingered banjo technique has become an integral element of bluegrass. In a few weeks, an album featuring just a few of the myriad musicians he influenced will finally see the light of day. In the works since 2006, Foggy Mountain Special: A Bluegrass […]
George Jones Hospitalized; Kenny Rogers is Hall of Fame’s Artist-in-Residence; New Albums From Alejandro Escovedo and Kenny Chesney in June
George Jones was hospitalized yesterday for an upper respiratory infection. He stayed overnight for observation and is scheduled to be released today. Here are some more remembrances of Earl Scruggs. This radio show features guests Tony Trischka, Ron Stewart, and Peter Cooper. Here’s a piece from NPR’s Morning Edition, and here are posts from Chet Flippo, […]
As its puntastic title suggests, Back to Bassics is a collection of solid, no-frills bluegrass, something that’s not as effortless to make as it sounds. Saravanan “Sav” Sankaran, the boyishly-voiced bass player for The Dixie Bee-Liners, leads a sharp band—with Adam Steffey on mandolin and Ron Stewart pulling double duty on banjo and fiddle—through eleven […]
At last night’s annual International Bluegrass Music Awards, Dailey & Vincent triumphed — again, maintaining their hold on the entertainer of the year and top vocal group categories for the third year in a row. The duo also notched wins for album of the year for their tribute project Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler […]
Nominees for the 21st annual International Bluegrass Music Awards were announced this morning and once again, Dailey & Vincent top the list with 10 nominations. Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out follow with six nods and right on their heels are Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Sam Bush, and The Grascals with five apiece. The full […]
Come this fall, the original Sugarland trio will have a reunion of sorts, only it’ll be in the courtroom. Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush will square off against Kristen Hall in a lawsuit that the latter filed claiming that she is owed more than $1.5 million. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Bill Rankin has more details, including […]
Loretta Lynn Earns Lifetime Achievement Award; TIME & Billboard Lists; Toby Keith Performs at Nobel Peace Concert
Loretta Lynn, Harold Bradley, and Walter Miller will be among those honored by the Recording Academy during Grammy week. Lynn will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award and both Bradley and Miller will earn Trustees Awards. Country California’s C.M. Wilcox compared and contrasted the best of the decade lists that ran here and Country Universe. It […]
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.