Pokey LaFarge Signs with Rounder; Michael Daves Plans Twin Album Project; Signature Sounds Celebrates 20 Years
Pokey LaFarge has signed with Rounder Records. He’s currently putting the finishing touches on his next album. (via press release) MilkDrive will release a new album called Places You’ve Not Been in March 2015. Michael Daves met his fundraising goal for the Twin Album Project yesterday. In May, he’ll release two albums with identical track listings; […]
Loretta Lynn signed a multi-album deal with Legacy Recordings. The first album is slated for release in 2015. Lynn has been working with daughter Patsy L. Russell and John Carter Cash at the Cash Cabin Studio “on a project that travels back and explores Loretta’s musical history, from the Appalachian folk songs and gospel music […]
John A. Brown, one of the two men convicted in the 1973 murders of Stringbean and Estelle Akeman, has been granted parole. The Tennessean reports that Brown, who had been up for parole six times prior to yesterday’s hearing, when he appeared “before five of the seven members of the Tennessee Board of Parole. Four […]
Jim Ed Brown Diagnosed with Lung Cancer; Glen Campbell Sued Over Documentary; Holly Williams Welcomes Daughter
Jim Ed Brown revealed in a video he posted on his Facebook page that he has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Doctors have asked him to take a four-month break from the road in order to focus on chemo and radiation treatments. (warning: autoplay) Glen Campbell’s getting sued over I’ll Be Me, the documentary about […]
Hard Working Americans to Release Documentary; MLB Pitcher Jake Peavy Covers Townes Van Zandt; Stream New Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile Album
Tom Riggs, founder of bluegrass label Pinecastle Records, passed away last Saturday. He was 78 years old. Watch Giants pitcher Jake Peavy and third base coach Tim Flannery (who has his own band, Tim Flannery & The Lunatic Fringe) cover Townes Van Zandt’s “Pancho and Lefty” in the stairwell of a Ritz-Carlton. The A.V. Club […]
Ranger Doug reads more than you, is bored to tears by Gertrude Stein. Little Big Town unveiled the cover of their next album and announced several dates on their “Pain Killer Tour.” Read the introduction to Steve Lowenthal’s Dance of Death, a biography of John Fahey. Jason Isbell, Rodney Crowell, Valerie June, St. Paul & The Broken […]
Haggard Salutes Buddy Holly; Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer to Release New Album; Free Lera Lynn Download
Ray Benson played “Hot Like That” for American Songwriter. Listen to “High Life,” from Brad Paisley’s Moonshine in the Trunk. Paisley, Vince Gill, Charlie Worsham, and Sara Evans are among the guests who appear on the Doobie Brothers’ next record, Southbound, which comes out November 4. Billy Joe Shaver did another entertaining interview, this one […]
Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Ashley Monroe Hospitalized; Mac Wiseman Announces New Album; Rodney Crowell Named Musical Director of Everly Brothers Tribute
Ashley Monroe has canceled some upcoming shows due to a severe kidney infection. As she posted on her website yesterday, “This is very serious and I’m heading back to Nashville to go to the hospital. Thank you for understanding and please keep me in your prayers. I’m so sorry for the disappointment this will cause, but if […]
We’re halfway through 2014 and there’s been some damn good roots music released this year, ranging from harpist Maeve Gilchrist’s Celtic folk to St. Paul & The Broken Bones’ retro soul to bluegrass band Special Consensus’ tribute to John Denver to Suzy Bogguss’ salute to Merle Haggard. Today could have been a Friday Fifty, but […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...