Special Consensus to Release John Denver Tribute Album; Tenn. Government Salutes Connie Smith; Little Big Town Debuts New Video
T Bone Burnett’s got a new job as the executive music producer and composer for HBO’s True Detective. Special Consensus and friends (including Peter Rowan, Dale Ann Bradley, John Cowan, and several others) will release Country Boy: A Bluegrass Tribute to John Denver on Compass Records March 25. (via press release) Remember that time we […]
This morning, we’re glad to premiere “Milkweed,” a track from Rod Picott’s new album, Hang Your Hopes on a Crooked Nail (if that phrase sounds familiar, you probably heard it when Picott’s longtime friend and frequent co-writer, Slaid Cleaves, recorded the song that lyric comes from, “Dreams,” on Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away). Here’s what Picott […]
The IBMA Awards were last night. Here are the winners: Hall of Fame Inductees: Tony Rice and Paul Warren Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Album of the Year: Balsam Range, Papertown Instrumental Group of the Year: The Boxcars Vocal Group of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Song of the Year: The Gibson Brothers, […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."