Taz DiGregorio Killed in Auto Accident; Buddy Miller is AMA Artist of the Year; Free Bluegrass in Dallas
Taz DiGregorio, vocalist and keyboardist in the Charlie Daniels Band (and co-writer of “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”) was killed in an automobile accident. He was a member of the CDB for four decades. Robert Plant, Buddy Miller, Justin Townes Earle, and Mumford and Sons all won awards at yesterday’s AMAs. Lucinda Williams, Jerry […]
The Bellamy Brothers Raise Questions Over Britney Spears Single; George Strait/Reba McEntire Lead Country Tours in 2010
Britney Spears‘ new single was released Monday, which wouldn’t ordinarily be news here, but The Bellamy Brothers are taking issue with some of the songs lyrics, specifically the line “If I said I want your body now, would you hold it against me?” It’s eerily close to the Brothers’ 1979 classic “If I Said You […]
Sugarland Settles Lawsuit with Founder Kristen Hall; Country Shows Expand; Anna Wilson Adds Jazz to Country Standards
Current Sugarland members Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush settled a lawsuit with the group’s founding member, Kristen Hall, who claims she was owed more than $14 million. Details of the settlement weren’t disclosed. NPR’s Meredith Ochs says the new Hank Williams box set The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus! challenges commonly held perceptions: Though it’s well-known […]
Photo courtesy of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum I was privileged to be on hand in August for all three of Buddy Miller’s Artist-in-Residence shows at the Country Music Hall of Fame’s Ford Theater, the first of which marked the theater’s reopening after its repair from damage in May’s Nashville flooding. These […]
Kix Brooks Schedules New Tour; Turkey Hunting with James McMurtry; ‘Nashville Scene’ Covers Americana
Brooks & Dunn haven’t yet wrapped up their final tour together (their last gig is tonight), but that hasn’t stopped Kix Brooks from lining up tour dates for next year. It’ll be a different kind of tour though. Instead of performing, Brooks will take his nationally syndicated American Country Countdown to various radio affiliates across […]
Craig Shelburne recapped Buddy Miller‘s artist-in-residence gig at the Country Music Hall of Fame on Tuesday, which featured special guests Tom T. Hall, Emmylou Harris, and the McCrary Sisters. With the song’s composer sitting in the front row, just a few steps away, Miller nervously introduced Tom T. Hall’s “That’s How I Got to Memphis.” […]
Willie Nelson releases albums like most people change their underpants. For the most part, that’s a good thing. He’s had some missteps along the way, but his recent offerings (Willie and the Wheel, American Classic, and Two Men with the Blues) rank as some of the best work in his long and storied career. Produced […]
Last.fm Top Artists While Josh Turner has normally averaged around 13 listeners per week, the release of a new album shot him up to #4 on the list this week, with 23 listeners. It’s a decent showing but not spectacular, which is pretty much in line with how the album reviews have been. Once again, […]
In her ubiquitous smash hit “You Belong with Me,” Taylor Swift’s cute quirks work for her. To fend off a prettier, more-perfect romantic rival, she‘s making her would-be man think twice about his options. “She wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts/She’s cheer captain and I’m on the bleachers,” Swift sings, fully aware that she’s got […]
From the soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou to his work on the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss collaboration, T-Bone Burnett is the top producer for country and Americana “event” recordings. His latest event is the soundtrack for current awards show darling Crazy Heart, co-produced by the late Stephen Bruton. The two movies couldn’t be more […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.