Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Willie Nelson Cancels Shows Due to Shoulder Injury; Rounder Records Plans Nashville Move; Little Big Town Plays Leno
The Opry is getting ready to celebrate its 88th birthday. Little Big Town will perform their new single, “Sober,” on Leno tonight. (via press release) If you weren’t at Golf & Guitars last May, check out this video recap, which features Joe Nichols, Joey Martin Feek, and a few other performers who attended the charity […]
Americana Award Winners Announced; HoF to Extend Bakersfield Sound Exhibit; Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama & Patty Griffin Song
The winners of last night’s Americana Awards: Album of the Year: Old Yellow Moon, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Artist of the Year: Dwight Yoakam Duo/Group of the Year: Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Song of the Year: “Birmingham,” Shovels & Rope Emerging Artist: Shovels & Rope Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell Trailblazer Award: Old […]
2012 was a good year for both traditional and progressive bluegrass. Here are a few of our favorite releases from the past twelve months. What were yours? These albums barely missed our Top 20: Trampled By Turtles, Stars and Satellites; Keller Williams & The Travelin’ McCourys, Pick; Janie Fricke, Country Side of Bluegrass; MilkDrive, Waves; […]
One of the most respected songwriters in Nashville, Jim Lauderdale, is busy these days. The weekly host of popular Music City Roots at the Loveless Barn in Nashville, longtime Wednesday afternoon guest host on WSM radio, host with Buddy Miller—with whom he’s just released a new album—of the Buddy and Jim Radio Show on Sirius […]
New Jim Lauderdale Record Out 9/25; Farm Aid Plans Webcast; Stream New Music from Rodney Parker & 50 Peso Reward
The UNC Southern Folklife Collection’s blog shines a spotlight on “Barbara Allen.” Michael Bialis of The Huffington Post wrote a piece on Elizabeth Cook, the “High Priestess in Americana’s House of Worship.” Kathleen Edwards went into anaphylactic shock after getting stung by a yellow jacket. Thanks to paramedics and an Epi-pen, she is recovering with […]
In keeping with our occasionally macabre Friday Five themes, today we’ll be talking about songs that mention Jack the Ripper, because today is the anniversary of the first murder he committed: on the morning of August 31, 1888, the body of Mary Ann Nichols was found in the Whitechapel area of London. Anyone who follows the […]
CMT Names Artists of the Year; All for the Hall Recapped: Parton Covers Jones; Tim McGraw’s Number Ones
Using pre-defined criteria, CMT chose its first-ever artists of the year: Jason Aldean, Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, and Zac Brown Band. They’ll be honored during a 90-minute special, CMT Artists of the Year, on Dec. 3 The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts and GAC’s Tom Roland recapped last night’s All for the Hall benefit. Vince […]
With 19 albums and hundreds of songs to his name, Jim Lauderdale has become one of the leading voices in the country and Americana genres. His collaborations include everyone from Ralph Stanley to Elvis Costello. In fact, it’s probably easier to come up with a list of people that haven’t worked with him than those […]
Twenty years into his recording career and, for many, Jim Lauderdale remains an acquired taste. Patchwork River isn’t likely to change that, although it’s not for a lack of trying. Never one to shy away from unexpected collaboration, Patchwork River finds him again working with Robert Hunter, best known as a lyricist for the Grateful […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.