Kristofferson Presents Willie Nelson with NSAI Award; Emmylou Harris Featured in Southern Living; New Music Videos
George Jones’ final album will be filled with Dolly Parton-penned tunes. In an interview with Billboard magazine, he says, “I love Dolly, always have and I am so honored to be doing a project with her…She is writing most of the songs and we all know what a great songwriter she is. I am just […]
Don’t look now, but Darius Rucker, lead singer of 90s rock group Hootie & The Blowfish, has a country hit on his hands. “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It” currently sits at number 14 on Billboard’s country singles chart and continues to pick up spins. What you probably haven’t heard is that Rucker is […]
Last week Howard Stern manipulated and re-edited sound clips from Dolly Parton quotes “to make it appear the singer was making racist and sexually explicit remarks about Kenny Rogers, Linda Ronstadt, Johnny Carson and others.” Kristin Whittlesey says it wasn’t mildly upsetting either, it was so filthy and nasty that it can’t even be paraphrased. […]
In light of 50 Cent and Universal getting sued for promoting a gangsta’ lifestyle, Mike Severson asks who could sue country music for the lifestyle it promotes? “Soccer moms? Former 70’s rock fans? The state of Texas?” Sugarland, Little Big Town and Jake Owen all share the No. 50 song on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs […]
October is over with and it seems like there was a whirlwind of new music. Some was good. The rest? Not so much. Browse through our assessments of the albums and let us know what you thought about the quality of October’s releases. Brooks & Dunn — Cowboy Town What is most disturbing about Cowboy […]
Tanya Tucker, who just moved from Nashville to Malibu in July, may lose her home, wardrobe, and memorabilia to wildfires that have destroyed some 200,000 acres in the area. Tucker was in Las Vegas when her daughter and four pets had to evacuate the home. Carrie Underwood reveals that she doesn’t ever want to be […]
The Politico has a great “story behind the song” type feature about how “For These Times” was written and eventually ended up on Martina McBride’s latest album, Waking Up Laughing. Inspiration is everywhere. It begins in Pittsburgh on election night 2006. Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), losing to Democrat Robert P. Casey Jr. by a wide […]
Musician, novelist, and former Texas gubernatorial hopeful Kinky Friedman talked to Nashville Scene about…politics. Who’d a thunk it? Along with Billy Joe Shaver these two guys could crank out some pretty lofty books of quotes. Rolling Stones‘ Top 15 cheating songs as chosen by their readers. Toby Keith scored his 23rd number 1 on the […]
While perusing the Galleywinter forums I came across a link to a great article on the Hampden-Sydney College website about Drew Kennedy from back in 2002 and 2003. The article says that: For his senior thesis, Drew traced the origins of west Texas country music and combined his research with his own talents as a […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.