2012 was a good year for both traditional and progressive bluegrass. Here are a few of our favorite releases from the past twelve months. What were yours? These albums barely missed our Top 20: Trampled By Turtles, Stars and Satellites; Keller Williams & The Travelin’ McCourys, Pick; Janie Fricke, Country Side of Bluegrass; MilkDrive, Waves; […]
With her 2010 debut, The Way I Remember It, Teea Goans quickly established herself as heir to country music royalty. On that album of covers of classic country songs, Goans demonstrated a canny ability to select the tunes that showed off her incredible vocal range, recalling Patty Loveless, Loretta Lynn, and Suzy Boggus, among others. […]
Jamey Johnson’s Hank Cochran Tribute Due on Vinyl 9/25; Free Vespers Download on NoiseTrade; New Album Releases
Jamey Johnson’s Livin’ for a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran, featuring duet partners like Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, and George Strait, will be released on vinyl September 25. It’ll be released on all other formats October 16. Matt Glaser, founder of the American Roots Music Program at Berklee College of Music has a new […]
Country Stars Remember Kitty Wells; New Little Big Town Album Due in September; Punch Brothers Announce New Tour Dates
Loretta Lynn, Barbara Mandrell, Dolly Parton, and Lee Ann Womack all made statements about Kitty Wells’ passing. Janis Martin’s final album, The Blanco Sessions, will be released on September 18. The album, produced by Rosie Flores and Bobby Trimble, was funded through Kickstarter. (via press release) Punch Brothers announced a bunch of new North American […]
Perry Baggs Passes Away; “Somethin’ ‘Bout a Truck” Goes Platinum, Video Premieres from Alejandro Escovedo, Chatham County Line
Perry Baggs, longtime drummer for Jason & The Scorchers (he left the band in 2003), passed away at the age of 50. Paste premiered videos from Alejandro Escovedo and Chatham County Line. Peter Cooper talks with Old Crow Medicine Show’s Ketch Secor for a Tennessean feature. The band’s new album, Carry Me Back, is due […]
Farm Aid Heads to Hershey; Johnny Depp & Douglas Brinkley Editing Unpublished Woody Guthrie Novel; Album Releases
Here’s a cool piece from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation called “In the Footsteps of John A. Lomax: American Folk Song Collector.” In this feature, “narrated by folklorist Hal Cannon, we retrace those back roads of Texas and Louisiana to discover why the folk music that John Lomax documented in the early 20th century still resonates […]
Andy Griffith passed away at the age of 86. Here he is picking a few on (with a couple impressive backing bands) The Andy Griffith Show. WAMU’s Bluegrass Country is remembering Tom “Cat” Reeder at noon Eastern today – the program will be rebroadcast at 9 p.m. on WAMU 88.5 (folks outside of the DC area can listen here.) […]
“Coat of Many Colors” Selected for National Recording Registry; Rhonda Vincent to Release Live Gospel Album; Free ATO Records Sampler
Dolly Parton’s “Coat of Many Colors” will be inducted into the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry. T-Model Ford has been hospitalized after suffering a stroke. Saving Country Music has information on where to donate to help with Ford’s expenses. Due out July 10: new Hank Jr. record Old School, New Rules. The album will […]
Taylor Swift won Entertainer of the Year at last night’s ACM Awards, while Miranda Lambert took home Album of the Year and Female Vocalist of the Year honors. The entire list of winners can be found here. Kevin McGuire, Taylor Swift’s original date for the ACMs, was unable to go to the event due to […]
Minnie Pearl Cancer Foundation Launches New Campaign; Martina McBride Plans Theater Tour; New Music Videos
Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert performed “America the Beautiful” at last night’s Super Bowl. Billy Ray Cyrus has agreed to a deal with Amazon.com’s publishing division and will put out a book titled Hillbilly Heart sometime in 2013. USA Today has an exclusive video interview with Dierks Bentley where he talks about (and sings) a […]
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.