Wade Hayes is cancer-free and back in the studio working on a new album. Kacey Musgraves played “The Trailer Song” on The Tonight Show late last week. Musgraves has also recorded backing vocals for Brian Wilson’s next album. Steel Magnolia’s Meghan Linsey premiered a new song called “Try Harder Than That” that will be on her upcoming record. […]
Opry Plans Birthday Bash; The Band Perry & Fall Out Boy Tape CMT Crossroads Episode; Country Radio Hall of Fame Inductees Named
The Opry’s birthday celebration on October 4-5 will include a concert by Steve Wariner. Also, there will be cake (not for you). A new episode of CMT Crossroads starring The Band Perry and Fall Out Boy will premiere November 29. In need of a good cry? The Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy blog premiered “Top of […]
Keith Urban Plans Post-Surgery Return to Performing; Decemberists to Release Live Album; Song of the Mountains Needs Help
Here is live video of The Civil Wars performing their song “Safe and Sound” with Taylor Swift at the Ryman. Dave Paulson of the Tennessean reviewed the show. The GAC blog has a brief post about young country singer Thomas Rhett, the son of Rhett Akins. His debut single, “Something to Do with My Hands,” […]
Music journalist Patsi Bale Cox passed away at the age of 66. She was credited with books on Loretta Lynn, Wynonna Judd, Ralph Emery, George Jones and more. A benefit concert being held by George Jones will fund the construction of a memorial in honor of country music star Tammy Wynette in Mississippi. It will […]
Songwriters: Luke Bryan, Dallas Davidson, Rhett Akins and Ben Hayslip With his last single “Country Girl (Shake it for Me),” Luke Bryan finally forged a memorable identity in mainstream country music. Before the ubiquitous hit took over airwaves this summer, he came close with “Rain is a Good Thing,” a similarly lust-soaked tune about females […]
New Gretchen Peters Album; Willie Nelson to Agricultural Hall of Fame; Bucky Covington Accused of Theft
Hello Cruel World, Gretchen Peters’ first solo record in four years, will be released in early 2012. The album features a duet with Rodney Crowell and guest appearances by Kim Richey, Viktor Krauss, and Will Kimbrough. It contains 11 original songs written by Peters, including collaborations with Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, and Tom Russell. Sara […]
Taylor Swift & Kris Kristofferson Swap Songs/Compliments; Jerry Lee Lewis’ Duet Album Wasn’t Supposed To Be
Writing for the L.A. Times’ music blog Pop & Hiss, Randy Lewis recapped last Thursday’s All for the Hall benefit with Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou Harris, Vince Gill, Taylor Swift, and Lionel Richie. Chris Willman wrote about the song swap for CMT. Zac Brown Band elicits strong feelings in The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards. But Brown […]
Peach Pickers In High Demand; Butch Hancock Closes Out ‘Iconic Years’ At Cactus Cafe; Bad ‘Carrie-Oke’
The trio of Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson, and Ben Hayslip has quickly become a hot commodity in the country music songwriting realm. All three being from Georgia, they’ve embraced their newfound collective notoriety and dubbed themselves the Peach Pickers. The three friends scored their first hit as a songwriting trio in 2008 with Brooks & […]
Songwriters: Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson and Ben Hayslip. As per usual, country radio has seen a recent influx of seasonal singles meant to conjure up smells of sunscreen, sights of swimsuits and plenty of summertime sentiment. What’s different this year, however, is that tunes such as James Otto’s “Groovy Little Summer Song,” Easton Corbin’s “Roll […]
Songwriters: Rhett Akins, Dallas Davidson & Ben Hayslip. A sort-of trailblazer in country music circles, Blake Shelton forges ahead with a new single from the second installment of his [not EP] Six Pack series. “All About Tonight,” a dose of fun Southern rock, follows on the heels of his countrier-than-thou #1 duet with Trace Adkins, […]
- luckyoldsun: Leann- I've biked a lot of laps around Central Park over the years. If I thought it would get me to …
- Leeann: No offense to Chely Wright, but while I expect that she will make a good album, asking for $175,000 seems …
- Juli Thanki: Ha! The best way to celebrate Connie Smith Day is by marrying a younger man. Mullet optional.
- nm: But was it Connie Smith Day all day long and then from dusk to dawn?
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …