Willie’s Roadhouse Plans Ray Price Tribute; Joe Henry to Re-Create Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears; Dailey & Vincent to Play Carnegie Hall
SiriusXM channel Willie’s Roadhouse will pay tribute to Ray Price with a three-hour show airing Saturday at noon. Merle Haggard on Price: “He was probably the first outlaw…I think Willie (Nelson) will agree. He was out there fighting for what he believed and doing it his way, and being criticized and all that. I remember […]
Miss. Country Music Trail Salutes Bobbie Gentry; Sarah Trahern Named CMA CEO; James McMurtry Signs with Complicated Game
I missed a couple albums in yesterday’s record release roundup: Buffalo Clover’s Test Your Love and Jesse Cobb’s Solitude. Bobbie Gentry’s marker on the Mississippi Country Music Trail will be unveiled tomorrow. (Like all of the Trail markers, Gentry’s has been written by Barry Mazor.) The CMA Board of Directors has named Sarah Trahern the […]
Mike Auldridge, Jerry Douglas & Rob Ickes Collaborate on Dobro Album; In the Kitchen with Kitty Wells; Vince Gill Hosts Make-A-Wish Kids at the Ryman
Martha Hume, author, journalist, and wife of Chet Flippo, passed away on Monday at the age of 65. Vince Gill and Amy Grant hosted a holiday event for more than 100 Make-A-Wish kids and their families at the Ryman. Make some holiday treats with these recipes from the late Kitty Wells’ 1964 cookbook, which can be […]
Music Photographer Ken Regan Passes Away; New Kristofferson Album Due in January; CMT Edge Offers Free Sampler
Kris Kristofferson’s next record, Feeling Mortal, will be available on iTunes 1/22. The physical release is one week later. (via press release) Photographer Ken Regan died of cancer on November 25. RollingStone.com posted a gallery of some of Regan’s music photography, including shots of Johnny Cash, Neil Young, and Bob Dylan. Dolly Parton was on The Colbert Report yesterday. Watch […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."