Born down in the low-country near the Mississippi River, country singer Jason Eady grew up on the soulful musical combination of gospel, soul, and blues. He headed to Nashville where a signed and failed record contract left him somewhat disillusioned with the direction country music was going. A move to Texas, with its unique and […]
If you want to start a heated discussion among a bunch of devoted country music fans or music makers, no matter what stripe, style, or era of country music they call their own, bring up the question of today’s mainstream country radio. You’re certain to hear some railing from somebody about a longstanding set of […]
After achieving regional success in Texas and Oklahoma, alt-country band No Justice makes a go at national notoriety with an intensity that manifests itself throughout 2nd Avenue, its first play for mainstream success on Dallas-based Carved Records. That fire is apparent across the album’s sonic variety, underlined by lead singer Steve Rice’s talent for bending […]
Red Dirt musician Jason Boland sets his “watch back” for a live cover of classic country tune “Tulsa Time.” Boland’s performance pays homage to recently-inducted Country Music Hall of Fame member Don Williams’ 1978 original, while simultaneously pumping up the tune with renewed vigor and a Red Dirt vibe. “Tulsa Time” will be the lead […]
Imagine a concert where you don’t hear an electric guitar solo until about an hour into the performance, but fiddles and steel guitars abound in almost every song. Imagine the cover songs are from Gram Parsons, Don Williams and Merle Haggard. Imagine the lead singer is singing about drinking, love and loneliness, all done from […]
I haven’t watched the CMA awards in years. Sometimes I’ve had a gig, but most of the time, there wasn’t anything there to interest me. I would flip channels and land on the awards show, but wouldn’t stay long. In the 80s, I didn’t miss a show. All my favorite artists were on. Country had […]
Having a major label record deal has never guaranteed success for an aspiring artist, but by and large in the past, having a major record deal served as a pre-requisite for success, after all, recording costs were prohibitively expensive and the majors had a lock on the retail distribution channels. We know now that it’s […]
When someone starts talking about IPOs and investing my eyes gloss over, but if you have some money to blow, I mean invest, then country music is apparently a hot commodity. And by “some money,” I mean a minimum of $500,000. Country singer/songwriters are the single hottest investment property you can find in 2008. A […]
Nothing Like Last Of The Breed Will Ever Come Along Again And New Book Names Top 100 Country Fan Clubs
I can’t read enough about Last of the Breed. It’s to the point where I don’t remember the last time I was this excited about one thing. My intense excitement is mostly due to something Chet Flippo mentions in his review of the Last of the Breed album, “nothing like this is ever going to […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.