Download a version of “Rambling Hobo” recorded by Doc Watson in 1976. (The song can be found on new Folkways compilation, Classic Banjo.) Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean article: “How a Happy Accident Revolutionized Guitar Sound.” There’s a New York Times article on Mark Seliger, a photographer—he’s shot everyone from the Dalai Lama to JayZ—who moonlights […]
T-Model Ford Passes Away; David Nail, Westbound Rangers Release New Videos; What’s Up with Gibson Banjos?
T-Model Ford passed away yesterday. The influential bluesman was in his 90s and had been battling health issues for several years after suffering a series of strokes in 2010. Listen to a KEXP session Ford recorded in 2008. Emmylou Harris’ “Boulder to Birmingham” and Charlie Louvin’s “Ira” made The A.V. Club’s list of “songs that directly […]
Bobby Hicks to Celebrate 80th Birthday with a Concert; Glen Campbell Documentary in the Works; LZ Granderson: “Randy Travis Taught Me Country”
A Glen Campbell documentary will be released later this year; a clip of the film will be shown July 25 in NYC at Music Cures, a fundraiser staged by The Kaneff Foundation for the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation. On August 10, Reba will participate in an interview at the Country Music Hall of Fame and […]
Jim Foglesong Passes Away; Blackberry Smoke Plays Leno; Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road Sign with Pinecastle
Jim Foglesong passed away yesterday at the age of 90. Foglesong, a Country Music Hall of Famer, was a music executive and professor who was integral to the careers of Garth Brooks, George Strait, Reba McEntire, The Oak Ridge Boys, and many, many more. The inaugural Loretta Lynn’s Gospel Music Festival will be held at […]
Steve Grand, an openly gay country singer, has released a music video for “All-American Boy;” in its first week of release, the video has been viewed over 400,000 times. The song and video depict unrequited love for another man. Watch and listen as Steel Magnolia’s Meghan Linsey knocks “Natural Woman” out of the park. Jason Eady’s […]
George Jones Biopic in the Works; Amanda Shires Releases Album Trailer; Skip Cherryholmes Joins Lou Reid & Carolina
Slim Whitman passed away. He was 89 years old. (h/t Janice Brooks) Reba’s on the cover of Jetset Magazine. Inside, she talks about her career, and, of course, the planes she’s owned. 28 Entertainment has acquired the life rights to George Jones. A biopic is in the works; writer Dennis Baxter worked with George and Nancy (who […]
Healing in the Heartland Benefit Concert Airs Tomorrow; Developers Want to Demolish Bob Wills’ Triple B Ranch; Album Releases
Blake Shelton’s Healing in the Heartland Oklahoma benefit concert airs on NBC tomorrow night at 9:00 Eastern. It’ll also be broadcast on Style, CMT, E!, G4, and Bravo. Performers include Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Reba, and Vince Gill. Jody Rosen wrote an excellent profile on Shane McAnally for The New York Times. A developer has obtained a […]
Sunny Sweeney Signs with Thirty Tigers; ABC Cancels Malibu Country, Renews Nashville; New Music Videos
Sunny Sweeney has gotten a new record deal with Thirty Tigers after parting ways with Big Machine/Republic Nashville Records last year. (via press release) Hunter Hayes, Pistol Annies, Little Big Town, Luke Bryan, and Taylor Swift will perform at the CMT Awards on June 5. Reba McEntire’s Malibu County television series was canceled by ABC. […]
ACM Awards Presenters Announced; David Cantwell’s Merle Haggard Book Due This Fall; Shemekia Copeland to Headline Chicago Blues Festival
Reba, Keith Urban, Jake Owen, and Miranda Lambert are a few of the folks scheduled to present at the ACM Awards on Sunday night. Coming out in September: David Cantwell’s Merle Haggard: The Running Kind. Check out Rodney Hayden’s cover of “I’m No Stranger to the Rain.” Scott Lucas is back on the road with […]
HoF to Open Reba Exhibit in August; Slaid Cleaves’ New Album Drops 6/4; Sugar Hill Announces Record Store Day Releases
A new Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum exhibit, Reba: All the Women I Am, will open August 9, 2013 and run through June 8, 2014. Slaid Cleaves’ next album, Still Fighting the War, will be released June 4. (via press release) The Independent Music Awards nominees were announced. Here are the nominees in […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.