New Gretchen Peters Album; Willie Nelson to Agricultural Hall of Fame; Bucky Covington Accused of Theft
Hello Cruel World, Gretchen Peters’ first solo record in four years, will be released in early 2012. The album features a duet with Rodney Crowell and guest appearances by Kim Richey, Viktor Krauss, and Will Kimbrough. It contains 11 original songs written by Peters, including collaborations with Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, and Tom Russell. Sara […]
It seems like more people than ever are sporting tattoos; here are a few of my favorite country songs about ‘em (it must be said that an honorable mention goes to the opening lines of Lucinda Williams’ “Right in Time”). Are any of you sporting country music-themed ink? Show us your tats! 5. “Tattoo” – […]
Dave Alvin Scores TV Gig; Randy Traywick’s (Travis) Publicity Photo; The Grascals Find Success with Cracker Barrel
Davin Alvin will make a guest appearance in, and wrote a new song for, the second season of the FX channel’s crime-drama series Justified. My pal Kelly Dearmore digs the new Hayes Carll record, KMAG YOYO (& Other American Stories), even if it doesn’t exactly make him forget about its predecessor. [...] this is the […]
The Americana Music Association announced the top 100 Americana albums of 2010, the results of which is based on airplay. Various Artists, Crazy Heart Original Motion Picture Soundtrack / New West Rosanne Cash, The List / Manhattan John Hiatt, The Open Road / New West Carolina Chocolate Drops, Genuine Negro Jig / Nonesuch Ray Wylie […]
Sara Evans and Brad Paisley Schedule New Albums; Billboard’s Year-End Lists; Ray Wylie Hubbard Dissatisfied with Finished Movie
Chet Flippo on respect in country music: When some kind of a strange variety show on a network TV channel opens with a song titled “Kiss My Country Ass,” any possible respect for the country music tradition [...] is absolutely thrown under the bus. You want trashy music? You got it. You want some respect […]
Brad Paisley announced that the song he debuted at the CMA Awards, “This Is Country Music,” will be his next single. (via CMT) Dollywood was awarded the Liseberg Applause Award, the amusement park industry’s top theme park award, on Tuesday. “Of course, Walt Disney became successful because he had Mickey Mouse who has two big […]
If you’ve never had the pleasure of living in tornado country, huddle in your cellar for a while and listen to a few songs that have been written about it. 5. “Tornado Ripe” – Ray Wylie Hubbard This gritty dirge is from Hubbard’s most recent album, A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There is No C). […]
Montgomery Gentry Leaves Label; Country Stars Donate Flood-Damaged Guitars; Warner Bros. to Release Songwriter Demos
Montgomery Gentry has parted ways with its longtime label Columbia Records. Warner Brothers Nashville announced plans to release a double-disc collection titled Original Songwriter Demos, which is pretty self-explanatory, but some of the demos included are: “The Dance,” “The House That Built Me,” and “I Hope You Dance.” Gary Scruggs says his father is doing […]
Winners at last night’s Americana Honors & Awards show were: Album of the Year: The List – Rosanne Cash Artist of the Year: Ryan Bingham Duo/Group of the Year: The Avett Brothers Instrumentalist of the Year: Buddy Miller New & Emerging Artist: Hayes Carll Song of the Year: “The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)” […]
Three years ago, Hank Cochran was chosen as the inaugural guest for the Country Music Hall of Fame’s “Poets and Prophets” series, a program designed to highlight the careers of the genre’s best writers. Leading up to that guest spot, Cochran appeared on WSM with Eddie Stubbs to tell the stories behind some of his […]
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …