At least five people were killed and over 40 were injured—some critically—when the entire concert rigging blew over in a storm during the Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair on Saturday night. Sara Bareilles had just finished her opening number and Sugarland had yet to take the stage. Witnesses tell of a wall of […]
New Gretchen Peters Album; Willie Nelson to Agricultural Hall of Fame; Bucky Covington Accused of Theft
Hello Cruel World, Gretchen Peters’ first solo record in four years, will be released in early 2012. The album features a duet with Rodney Crowell and guest appearances by Kim Richey, Viktor Krauss, and Will Kimbrough. It contains 11 original songs written by Peters, including collaborations with Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, and Tom Russell. Sara […]
It seems like more people than ever are sporting tattoos; here are a few of my favorite country songs about ‘em (it must be said that an honorable mention goes to the opening lines of Lucinda Williams’ “Right in Time”). Are any of you sporting country music-themed ink? Show us your tats! 5. “Tattoo” – […]
Dave Alvin Scores TV Gig; Randy Traywick’s (Travis) Publicity Photo; The Grascals Find Success with Cracker Barrel
Davin Alvin will make a guest appearance in, and wrote a new song for, the second season of the FX channel’s crime-drama series Justified. My pal Kelly Dearmore digs the new Hayes Carll record, KMAG YOYO (& Other American Stories), even if it doesn’t exactly make him forget about its predecessor. [...] this is the […]
The Americana Music Association announced the top 100 Americana albums of 2010, the results of which is based on airplay. Various Artists, Crazy Heart Original Motion Picture Soundtrack / New West Rosanne Cash, The List / Manhattan John Hiatt, The Open Road / New West Carolina Chocolate Drops, Genuine Negro Jig / Nonesuch Ray Wylie […]
Sara Evans and Brad Paisley Schedule New Albums; Billboard’s Year-End Lists; Ray Wylie Hubbard Dissatisfied with Finished Movie
Chet Flippo on respect in country music: When some kind of a strange variety show on a network TV channel opens with a song titled “Kiss My Country Ass,” any possible respect for the country music tradition [...] is absolutely thrown under the bus. You want trashy music? You got it. You want some respect […]
Brad Paisley announced that the song he debuted at the CMA Awards, “This Is Country Music,” will be his next single. (via CMT) Dollywood was awarded the Liseberg Applause Award, the amusement park industry’s top theme park award, on Tuesday. “Of course, Walt Disney became successful because he had Mickey Mouse who has two big […]
If you’ve never had the pleasure of living in tornado country, huddle in your cellar for a while and listen to a few songs that have been written about it. 5. “Tornado Ripe” – Ray Wylie Hubbard This gritty dirge is from Hubbard’s most recent album, A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There is No C). […]
Montgomery Gentry Leaves Label; Country Stars Donate Flood-Damaged Guitars; Warner Bros. to Release Songwriter Demos
Montgomery Gentry has parted ways with its longtime label Columbia Records. Warner Brothers Nashville announced plans to release a double-disc collection titled Original Songwriter Demos, which is pretty self-explanatory, but some of the demos included are: “The Dance,” “The House That Built Me,” and “I Hope You Dance.” Gary Scruggs says his father is doing […]
Winners at last night’s Americana Honors & Awards show were: Album of the Year: The List – Rosanne Cash Artist of the Year: Ryan Bingham Duo/Group of the Year: The Avett Brothers Instrumentalist of the Year: Buddy Miller New & Emerging Artist: Hayes Carll Song of the Year: “The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)” […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."