With his new bride prepping a solo album and a Pistol Annies album, Blake Shelton isn’t to be outdone. Late last week, he unveiled his new… uh… duo… with Jimmy Fallon. Blake Shelton is also the new host of the Grand Ole Opry’s new backstage tour experience. “Beginning this week, visitors on the Opry House […]
This week’s Friday Five is inspired by a song that was mentioned in Ralph Stanley’s autobiography Man of Constant Sorrow: Cager Farler’s “There’ll Be No Hippies in Heaven.” (Really, Cager? Not even that longhaired dude in sandals?) So what else isn’t in heaven? Let’s find out. 5. “No Lawyers in Heaven” – Ray Stevens If […]
Tracy Lawrence is at work on a new album that addresses hard times, so it’s only logical that it’s tentatively titled Hard Times. In an interview with The Daily Times’ Steve Wildsmith, Lawrence says the bulk of the album is the traditional fare he’s known for, but he had to make some concessions to get […]
Since my September 2008 article, Charlie McCoy, Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark, Don Williams, Billy Sherrill, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean have been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. As I noted, for decades the Country Music Hall of Fame was caught in the position where many deserving performers died before their turn for […]
Using data from radio airplay and album sales, Billboard ranked the top 25 country artists of the past 25 years. New releases for the week of June 8, 2010 include: Cadillac Sky – Letters in the Deep Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Clay Walker – She Won’t Be Lonely Long Amazon | iTunes | MySpace […]
Michael Martin Murphey signed a multi-album contract with Rural Rhythm Records during last week’s IBMA convention and will release his second set of bluegrass tunes, Buckaroo Blue Grass 2, next February. The first single is a remake of “Wildfire” as a duet with Carrie Hassler.
Trace Adkins is scheduled to perform the national anthem at this year’s ceremony honoring the passengers who died on United Airlines Flight 93 in Pennsylvania on September 11, 2001. Best Buy has an exclusive EP from Miranda Lambert today that includes “Dead Flowers” and three bonus tracks from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend that were offered by different […]
Ray Price is currently recovering from his surgery on June 23rd to remove precancerous polyps from his colon. In this week’s Quotable Country, C.M. Wilcox highlighted the following exchange between Bryan Adams and Jason Adlean from their recent CMT Crossroads episode: Bryan Adams: You guys are a full-on rock band. There’s nothing country about what’s […]
Some more songs that I liked, one song per artist, not necessarily the biggest hit. As always, I consider myself free to comment on other songs by the artist. “I’m Having Your Baby” – Sunday Sharpe (1974) Female answer to a rather lame Paul Anka hit with the answer song being better (or at least […]
Universal Republic Records President and CEO Monte Lipman and Big Machine Records President and CEO Scott Borchetta announced the formation of a new label imprint: Republic Nashville. Austin Powell wrote an interesting feature piece about Ryan Bingham for The Austin Chronicle. In it, he notes that Bingham will make his acting debut in the Robert […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.