George Hamilton IV suffered a heart attack last Saturday. He is recovering in a Nashville area hospital. Billy Bob Thornton’s band, The Boxmasters, have been signed to 101 Ranch Records and will release a new single later this year, with a double album and tour planned for early 2015. They join Mark Collie on the label. Ray Charles comes […]
Studio owner and recording engineer Cosimo Matassa passed away yesterday at the age of 88. Fats Domino, Little Richard, a teenage Jerry Lee Lewis, and Ray Charles were among the artists who recorded at Matassa’s J&M Recording Studio in New Orleans. Lynn Anderson was charged with DUI last night after she was involved in a […]
Stream Dead Man’s Town; Blues HoF on Schedule for May 2015 Opening; Lee Ann Womack Releases New Video
The ACM Honors Ceremony was held at the Ryman last night. Toby Keith and Ronnie Milsap received Career Achievement Awards, Carrie Underwood took home the Gene Weed Special Achievement Award, Steve Buchanan and Rascal Flatts got the Jim Reeves International Award, and Jack Clement, Dean Dillon, Buck Owens, and Kris Kristofferson were honored with the […]
Capitol to Reissue Okie From Muskogee; Country Music Photo Exhibit Coming to L.A.; Ralph Peer Biography Due in November
Capitol Records will re-release Merle Haggard’s 1969 album Okie from Muskogee on March 25. The remastered, two-CD set will include out-of-print live album The Fightin’ Side of Me (1970), which was recorded in Philadelphia. (via press release) The Whites celebrated 30 years as Opry members. Qello is like Netflix, but solely focused on concert films and […]
At age 71, Ronnie Milsap has been in the music business for half a century, but he’s not slowing down. On March 18, he’ll release Summer Number 17, a new album for which recorded several songs that he enjoyed as a young man, including “Tears on My Pillow” and “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted.” […]
Dunn, Lambert Announce New Albums; “Seven Spanish Angels” Used as Evidence in Murder Trial; New Music Videos
It looks as if Bill Monroe and Tammy Wynette may be on their very own postage stamps in the future. Jewly Hight interviewed Eleni Mandell about her new album, Let’s Fly a Kite, for CMT Edge. An excerpt: “It’s really hard to express how much it meant to hear other people do my songs — […]
Last night’s Grammy Awards results: Best Country Album: Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park Best Country Song: Kacey Musgraves – “Merry Go Round” (Musgraves/Shane McAnally/Josh Osborne) Best Country Solo Performance: Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel” Best Country Duo/Group Performance: The Civil Wars – “From This Valley” Best Blues Album: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite […]
The first 17 inductees into the Outlaw Music Hall of Fame were announced on Saturday night. The artists named in the first class include Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, The Carter Family, Bobby Bare, Chris Gantry, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, David Allan Coe, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Johnny Paycheck, Sammi Smith, Steve Young, Jessi […]
Stream There Will be Nights When I’m Lonely, the new album from one-man band Possessed by Paul James, at Saving Country Music. Mandy Barnett will release I Can’t Stop Loving You: The Songs of Don Gibson, through Cracker Barrel on November 11. Tracks include “Sweet Dreams,” “Oh, Lonesome Me,” and “I Can’t Stop Loving You.” […]
Ray Price Battles Sepsis; Dale Watson to Reopen Ginny’s Little Longhorn Saloon; Is Folk Music Possible Anymore?
Ray Price developed a case of sepsis while in the hospital. This post on his official Facebook page says that Price is stable for now. Here’s a video for “Blacktop,” shot at Alan Jackson’s Station Inn show. Geoffrey Himes for Paste: Is folk music even possible anymore? By “folk music,” I refer not to the […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.