Compass Records to Release Jean Ritchie Tribute; Alan Jackson, Kenny Rogers HoF Exhibits to Open in August; Ralph Stanley Elected to American Academy of Arts & Sciences
Ralph Stanley, Al Pacino, Annie Proulx, Robert Reich, and Robert Ballard: the world’s most interesting dinner party or a few of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences’ newly elected fellows? (It’s the latter. Stanley, Pacino, et al. will be officially inducted into the Academy on October 11.) “Alan Jackson: 25 Years of Keepin’ it […]
Jerry Douglas Announces Flatt & Scruggs Tribute Album; SiriusXM Launches Y2Kountry; New Music Videos
Ali Lohan, younger sister of Lindsay, is reportedly getting ready to launch a country music career. The internet was abuzz over Tim McGraw’s intentional/unintentional swipe/slap of a fan that got a little too grabby at one of his concerts. JD Crowe, Doyle Lawson and Paul Williams will release Standing Tall and Tough on Mountain Home […]
Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
The Grand Ole Opry ranks dropped by one with the passing with the grand Cajun, Jimmy C. Newman, from cancer at the age of 86. Marty Stuart summed it up best with his comment in the obit Peter Cooper wrote for The Tennessean: “His role became the Cajun fellow at the Opry, and that’s great. But if you go back […]
In what was promoted as his final live concert, George Strait set a record for the largest crowd for an indoor concert in North American history at AT&T Stadium in Dallas on Saturday night. More than 104,000 people were in attendance. Lionel Richie is plotting a sequel to his country duets album, Tuskegee. Check out the […]
Emmylou to Headline FreshGrass; Lambert & Underwood Will Debut Duet at Billboard Awards; Banjo Power Couple Plans New Album
What’s Jamey Johnson up to these days? Training Randy Travis’ horses. I know you lie awake at night wondering, “Self, what Dolly Parton song am I?” Luckily, Parton and the folks at Buzzfeed put together this quiz so you can figure out which one of Dolly’s songs best represents you. Jewly Hight interviewed Mickey Gilley […]
Merle Haggard marked a birthday Sunday, his 77th. He celebrated the occasion with an appearance on CBS’s Academy of Country Music awards show, where George Strait and Miranda Lambert performed a medley of his hits and where Haggard was presented with something called the Crystal Milestone Award by Garth Brooks, one of its former honorees. […]
Willie Watson to Release Solo Album; All for the Hall Nets $100K; New West/Normaltown Offer NoiseTrade Sampler
Sean Potts, one of the founding members of The Chieftains, passed away last month. He was 83. Willie Watson will release his solo debut, Folk Singer, Vol. 1, May 6. The record, which includes versions of songs like “Stewball” and “James Alley Blues,” was produced by David Rawlings. (via press release) Here’s a neat article […]
Musgraves Sees Post-Grammy Sales Boost; Rural Rhythm to Release Jim & Jesse’s Remastered Radio Shows; Free Bloodshot Sampler
The Opry will celebrate 40 years at The Grand Ole Opry House March 15-16 with a number of special events, including performances by Josh Turner, Miranda Lambert, and others. Here is the full schedule. On March 4, Rural Rhythm Records will release Jim & Jesse’s Radio Shows. The disc will contain 24 tracks remastered from […]
Kristofferson to Receive Lifetime Grammy; Randy Travis to Star in Lifetime Christmas Movie; New Ralph Stanley Album Due in February
Ralph Stanley and Ralph Stanley II are releasing new album Side by Side on February 18. The tracklisting includes “Wild Bill Jones,” “Are You Waiting Just for Me,” and a dozen other songs. (via press release) The night before the Grammys, Kris Kristofferson, Rick Hall, and Enrico Morricone will receive the Recording Academy’s Lifetime Achievement […]
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.