George Hamilton IV Celebrates 50th Opry Anniversary; Cactus Cafe Still Closing; Carrie Underwood’s “Temporary Home”
Saturday marks George Hamilton IV‘s 50th anniversary as a Grand Ole Opry member. Despite strong opposition, University of Texas officials have no plans to back down from their original decision to close the Cactus Cafe. Long-time manager Griff Luneberg broke his silence on the issue yesterday morning: “As a loyal Texas Union Employee for the […]
The town of Helotes, Texas voted to amend the name of one of its oldest drags. The street in question, Old Bandera Way, is remaining Old Bandera Way, but also taking on the name Willie Nelson Way. And in other street news, Patsy Cline won’t be having her own way, or boulevard, anytime soon. A […]
Vince Gill’s ‘Love Songs’ Due In Time For Valentine’s; The Infamous Stringdusters w/Sarah Siskind; Bonnie Bishop at Steamboat
Vince Gill is scheduled to release an album of love songs on Jan. 26, just in time for Valentine’s. I get the feeling Bob Lesetz isn’t a Carrie Underwood fan: Carrie Underwood’s not a star, she’s commerce. [...] Too much of what passes for country music today is fodder made for a market. Carrie Underwood […]
Dixie Chicks‘ Martie Maguire and Emily Robison will be releasing a new album without Natalie Maines, however a title, release date, and musical direction are all still unknown. Reba McEntire is returning as the host of this year’s ACM Awards, which are scheduled for April 18. On the following night, the Academy plans to tape […]
Here’s full alphabetized (by first name) list of the interviews conducted by The 9513 in 2009. Amy Dalley Ashley Monroe Barbara Mandrell Big Kenny Billy Ray Cyrus Bryan White Caitlin & Will Charlie Daniels Charlie Louvin Collin Raye Corb Lund Darryl Worley David Lee Murphy David Nail Dolly Parton Eddie Montgomery Eric Church Gene Watson […]
Having played on more than 500 albums and toured with artists that range from Hank III to Dolly Parton, Randy Kohrs has become one of the go-to musicians when there’s a need for a resophonic guitar. Dierks Bentley got noticed as a star-in-waiting with “What Was I Thinking,” a song driven largely by Kohrs Dobro. […]
Acuff, Rogers & Evans, and Monroe Head to Grammy Hall of Fame; Unfinished Hank Williams Song Finally Released
The Recording Academy inducted 25 songs into the Grammy Hall of Fame yesterday. Songs in the country category are: Roy Acuff & The Crazy Tennesseans – “Great Speckled Bird” (Amazon) Roy Rogers & Dale Evans – “Happy Trails” (Amazon) Bill Monroe And His Blue Grass Boys – “Mule Skinner Blues” (Amazon) On the surface, Rosanne […]
Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood are scheduled to perform a free concert in downtown Nashville on Nov. 10, one day before the CMA Awards. Sounds Country commented on the new Bruce Robison single “Born to Roll,” which features Rodney Crowell and will be released on Robison’s next album From the Top. I can’t find a […]
The U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution honoring country music for its contributions to America. New releases for the week of October 20, 2009 include: Bomshel – Fight Like a Girl Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Flatt & Scruggs – Foggy Mountain Banjo (Reissue) Amazon | Collector’s Choice Music Grasstowne – The Other Side […]
Bill Anderson plans to have a new album released before the end of the year. Craig Bickhardt wonders where the real people are in today’s country songs: The rule of thumb in Nashville is: make her crude, make him dirty, put them in a truck (with a six pack sometimes), and it’s a country song. […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …