Stream New Music From Patty Griffin, Willie Nelson; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute Album in May; Album Releases
Stream “Ohio,” a song from Patty Griffin’s American Kid (out 5/7), here. Rolling Stone posted the title track of Willie Nelson’s upcoming album of standards, Let’s Face the Music and Dance. Hellbound Glory played “Lost Cause” for CMT Edge. Stream David Mayfield Parade’s new record at American Songwriter. Good Man Down, which includes guests Doyle […]
Jack Greene passed away yesterday at the age of 83. Hilary Williams released a new EP. Mary Chapin Carpenter’s single “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” was the subject of a “Hear This” A.V. Club post. An excerpt: The genius of the song, though, is that Carpenter doesn’t end in [a] moment of forced girl power. […]
YouTube Launches Country Music Channel; Corb Lund Curates Museum Exhibit; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute
YouTube launched Country Now, a channel “dedicated to country music and its fans with programming created and produced by Nashville artists and firms. YouTube has partnered with Los Angeles entertainment firm Greenlight Media & Marketing LLC to create the Country Now channel. Greenlight has agreed to a one-year deal to produce at least eight shows, […]
CMA Donates $250,000 to Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame; New Nora Jane Struthers Video; Stream Albums from John Corbett, Stephen Wade
The CMA Foundation donated $250,000 to the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Ralph Stanley is featured in the February/March 2013 issue of Garden & Gun. In addition to the article, there’s also a “highly selective” discography. Charley Pride talks about his relationship with Cowboy Jack Clement in this Tennessean article. Sarah Darling talks with Billboard’s […]
Jana Kramer had an airplane scare yesterday. A couple of her tweets: “Terrified out of my mind. Emergency landing back in Miami without landing gear. #pray” “HOLY S**T that was NOT cool at all. Good news though. I’m on the ground. We made it. Thanks for the prayers #shaking” Songwriter Tim Johnson passed away from […]
TG Sheppard Hospitalized; Sam Phillips, Jerry Lee Lewis Among Memphis Music HoF Inductees; Underwood Goes Platinum
T.G. Sheppard is in critical condition after being hospitalized on Sunday with a bladder infection that spread through his bloodstream. Barry Mazor interviewed Garth Brooks for this fine Wall Street Journal article. Julie King of the News Guardian reviewed a recent Mary Chapin Carpenter/Shawn Colvin concert. Willie Nelson was one of the guests at Jamey […]
Claire Lynch signed with Compass Records. Her Compass debut will be released in early 2013. (via press release) Zac Brown Band’s The Foundation went triple platinum. Hunter Hayes’ “Wanted” and Toby Keith’s “As Good As I Once Was” have both gone platinum, and Carrie Underwood’s “Blown Away” has been certified gold. Bruce Springsteen is a fan […]
Engine 145 is on vacation this week, but we’ll be back with new content next Monday. Until then, here are some things to read about, listen to, and discuss. There was a Ralph Stanley 78 rpm record released last Record Store Day. Are any of your favorite artists using one of these “alternatives to just […]
Patsy Cline HoF Exhibit Opens Next Month; Kenny Chesney Added to Farm Aid Lineup; New Mavericks Album Slated for 9/25 Release
New exhibit Patsy Cline: Crazy for Loving You will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on August 24. The opening weekend festivities will include a panel discussion with Cline’s husband and daughter as well as Harold Bradley, Jan Howard and George Hamilton IV. The exhibit will run through June 10, 2013. […]
The legendary Kitty Wells passed away yesterday at the age of 92. These lengthy obituaries from the Washington Post, New York Times, Tennessean, MusicRow, NPR, and CMT.com are all worth reading. Bassist Bob Babbitt, who played on classics like Gladys Knight & The Pips’ “Midnight Train to Georgia” and appeared on albums by Frank Sinatra, Elton […]
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."