A look at some new books, albums and a broadcast that look at where we’ve been to show us where we are: Springsteen on Springsteen: Interviews, Speeches and Encounters, edited by Jeff Burger. Those of us who interview and profile performers for articles concerning what they do sometimes get, and occasionally deserve, credit for pulling […]
Hall of Fame Receives NEH Grant; “Blown Away” Goes Double Platinum; Rhett Miller Injures Vocal Cords
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum received a $280,000 NEH grant to help the HoF digitize fragile and rare artifacts in the museum’s collection. The Band Perry’s Pioneer sold 129,000 copies in its first week. Performing rights organizations SESAC, ASCAP, and BMI have launched programs “dedicated to boosting royalty-sharing for smaller acts,” writes Jaquetta […]
Stream New Music From Patty Griffin, Willie Nelson; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute Album in May; Album Releases
Stream “Ohio,” a song from Patty Griffin’s American Kid (out 5/7), here. Rolling Stone posted the title track of Willie Nelson’s upcoming album of standards, Let’s Face the Music and Dance. Hellbound Glory played “Lost Cause” for CMT Edge. Stream David Mayfield Parade’s new record at American Songwriter. Good Man Down, which includes guests Doyle […]
Jack Greene passed away yesterday at the age of 83. Hilary Williams released a new EP. Mary Chapin Carpenter’s single “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” was the subject of a “Hear This” A.V. Club post. An excerpt: The genius of the song, though, is that Carpenter doesn’t end in [a] moment of forced girl power. […]
YouTube Launches Country Music Channel; Corb Lund Curates Museum Exhibit; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute
YouTube launched Country Now, a channel “dedicated to country music and its fans with programming created and produced by Nashville artists and firms. YouTube has partnered with Los Angeles entertainment firm Greenlight Media & Marketing LLC to create the Country Now channel. Greenlight has agreed to a one-year deal to produce at least eight shows, […]
CMA Donates $250,000 to Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame; New Nora Jane Struthers Video; Stream Albums from John Corbett, Stephen Wade
The CMA Foundation donated $250,000 to the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. Ralph Stanley is featured in the February/March 2013 issue of Garden & Gun. In addition to the article, there’s also a “highly selective” discography. Charley Pride talks about his relationship with Cowboy Jack Clement in this Tennessean article. Sarah Darling talks with Billboard’s […]
Jana Kramer had an airplane scare yesterday. A couple of her tweets: “Terrified out of my mind. Emergency landing back in Miami without landing gear. #pray” “HOLY S**T that was NOT cool at all. Good news though. I’m on the ground. We made it. Thanks for the prayers #shaking” Songwriter Tim Johnson passed away from […]
TG Sheppard Hospitalized; Sam Phillips, Jerry Lee Lewis Among Memphis Music HoF Inductees; Underwood Goes Platinum
T.G. Sheppard is in critical condition after being hospitalized on Sunday with a bladder infection that spread through his bloodstream. Barry Mazor interviewed Garth Brooks for this fine Wall Street Journal article. Julie King of the News Guardian reviewed a recent Mary Chapin Carpenter/Shawn Colvin concert. Willie Nelson was one of the guests at Jamey […]
Claire Lynch signed with Compass Records. Her Compass debut will be released in early 2013. (via press release) Zac Brown Band’s The Foundation went triple platinum. Hunter Hayes’ “Wanted” and Toby Keith’s “As Good As I Once Was” have both gone platinum, and Carrie Underwood’s “Blown Away” has been certified gold. Bruce Springsteen is a fan […]
Engine 145 is on vacation this week, but we’ll be back with new content next Monday. Until then, here are some things to read about, listen to, and discuss. There was a Ralph Stanley 78 rpm record released last Record Store Day. Are any of your favorite artists using one of these “alternatives to just […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...