Pokey LaFarge Signs with Rounder; Michael Daves Plans Twin Album Project; Signature Sounds Celebrates 20 Years
Pokey LaFarge has signed with Rounder Records. He’s currently putting the finishing touches on his next album. (via press release) MilkDrive will release a new album called Places You’ve Not Been in March 2015. Michael Daves met his fundraising goal for the Twin Album Project yesterday. In May, he’ll release two albums with identical track listings; […]
Here’s Will Hoge’s new video for “Middle of America.” Barry Mazor talked about Ralph Peer on Marketplace the other day. Listen here. Garth Brooks played a free show in San Francisco yesterday. (warning: autoplay) This is nice: during one of Garth’s Minneapolis shows, he serenaded a fan who has been battling cancer, then gave her his […]
CMA Awards Winners Announced; Vince Gill Receives Irving Waugh Award; CMHOF to Host Ralph Peer Program
Last night’s CMA Award winners: Irving Waugh Award of Excellence – Vince Gill (Gill is only the second person to receive this award. The only other honoree: Johnny Cash.) Entertainer of the Year: Luke Bryan Album of the Year: Miranda Lambert — Platinum Song of the Year: Kacey Musgraves, Brandy Clark and Shane McAnally — […]
Studio owner and recording engineer Cosimo Matassa passed away yesterday at the age of 88. Fats Domino, Little Richard, a teenage Jerry Lee Lewis, and Ray Charles were among the artists who recorded at Matassa’s J&M Recording Studio in New Orleans. Lynn Anderson was charged with DUI last night after she was involved in a […]
Country Stars Revisit the Bristol Sessions; Pokey LaFarge Announces Tour; HoF & Music City Roots to Celebrate Night Train to Nashville Anniversary
Justin Townes Earle will release Single Mothers on Vagrant Records September 9. (via press release) Hot Rize has a new album and fall tour in the works. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Music City Roots are teaming up for a concert (scheduled for July 30) celebrating the tenth anniversary of Night Train to […]
Capitol to Reissue Okie From Muskogee; Country Music Photo Exhibit Coming to L.A.; Ralph Peer Biography Due in November
Capitol Records will re-release Merle Haggard’s 1969 album Okie from Muskogee on March 25. The remastered, two-CD set will include out-of-print live album The Fightin’ Side of Me (1970), which was recorded in Philadelphia. (via press release) The Whites celebrated 30 years as Opry members. Qello is like Netflix, but solely focused on concert films and […]
Pulling off a musical biography well is not easy. Trust me; I’m spending much of my own time these days working on one, (on roots music A&R and publishing pioneer Ralph Peer). From short profile articles to full-length books, there are questions for the writer—focus, depth, audience, and how to go about it. I have […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.