Born, bred, shaped and crafted on the red dirt roads of Texas, the Randy Rogers Band can now call itself a national country music flag bearer for the Lone Star state. Composed of Randy Rogers (lead vocals), Geoffrey Hill (guitar), Jon Richardson (bass guitar), Brady Black (fiddle), and Les Lawless (drums), the band grinded out […]
Since my September 2008 article, Charlie McCoy, Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark, Don Williams, Billy Sherrill, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean have been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. As I noted, for decades the Country Music Hall of Fame was caught in the position where many deserving performers died before their turn for […]
Radney Foster took the stage at a concert in Sacramento this past May and had a crowd watching. Normally, this wouldn’t be news. Foster has been touring small clubs and venues much of his career, entertaining crowds of hundreds- if not thousands- along the way. This one was different, however. Foster was one of sixteen […]
Three years ago, Hank Cochran was chosen as the inaugural guest for the Country Music Hall of Fame’s “Poets and Prophets” series, a program designed to highlight the careers of the genre’s best writers. Leading up to that guest spot, Cochran appeared on WSM with Eddie Stubbs to tell the stories behind some of his […]
Remember that tour The 9513 sponsored last year that featured the stories and songs of Drew Kennedy and Rodney Hayden? New American Voices, it was called. It was such a positive experience that we’ve all decided to do it again, and this time Drew and Rodney are taking their music to mostly new areas further […]
I’m not the type of person who travels 2700 miles for a concert. The best part about living in DC is that nearly all genres of music can be found just a short walk or Metro ride away. But on Monday, I found myself flying cross-country to Sacramento for the third annual Golf & Guitars […]
Songwriters: Radney Foster & Georgia Middleman. The last time Keith Urban covered a Radney Foster song, the result was “Raining on Sunday,” a #3 hit for him in 2003. The question would be why it took him so long to go back to that particular well, but the timing is actually perfect. Presumably, all royalties […]
This article will focus on some artists who either had a very short period of great success or had an extended run of near-success. In other words, I cannot justify an entire article on any of them. Deborah Allen was born in 1953 in Memphis, and probably has had greater success as a songwriter, having […]
A new documentary, Johnny Cash Of Easter Cash, exploring the Scottish roots of Johnny Cash airs tomorrow on BBC Radio. Rascal Flatts isn’t shy about taking credit for the pop country movement: “It’s kind of amazing that people are just now finding out about it,” Flatts guitarist/pianist Jay DeMarcus admits to The Boot. “Not to […]
A new musical by John Mellencamp and Stephen King, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, will feature a cast that includes Kris Kristofferson, Rosanne Cash, and Elvis Costello. However, the debut isn’t expected until Sep. 2010. Doyle Lawson is scheduled to record a live concert on January 15 for an all-Gospel DVD to be released later […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.