In addition to releasing his own solo records and projects with his wife Julie, Buddy Miller is one of the most in-demand musicians in American roots music. Chances are that even if you don’t own any of his own records, you have at least half a dozen albums in your collection featuring his singing or […]
Martina McBride Rides the Rails; Del McCoury to Release Bill Monroe Tribute Record; Infamous Stringdusters Host Online Listening Party
George Strait’s “Here For a Good Time” became his 84th Top 10 single, while the album of the same name became his 24th #1. Cool cat and former Blue Grass Boy Del McCoury has a Bill Monroe tribute record scheduled for digital release on September 27 (vinyl will be released October 25). Gretchen Peters posted […]
New Gretchen Peters Album; Willie Nelson to Agricultural Hall of Fame; Bucky Covington Accused of Theft
Hello Cruel World, Gretchen Peters’ first solo record in four years, will be released in early 2012. The album features a duet with Rodney Crowell and guest appearances by Kim Richey, Viktor Krauss, and Will Kimbrough. It contains 11 original songs written by Peters, including collaborations with Matraca Berg, Suzy Bogguss, and Tom Russell. Sara […]
Congratulations to Wade, who won our Donna Ulisse CD giveaway! Wade, keep your eyes posted for an email. News from Rosanne Cash, via Twitter: Stop tweeting me. I have to go to work. I have to have all songs written by end of August to begin recording in October. #IBuriedTheLede Barry Mazor on Rodney Crowell […]
Bluegrass and Dixieland jazz may, upon first glance, seem rather different from one another, but they do have several common traits, such as a shared love of improvisation. In addition, as their names suggest, both genres grew out of specific regions and remain linked to those regions and their people. These shared characteristics are part […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."