George Jones to Join Texas Country Music Hall of Fame; New Releases; Randy Houser Reveals More Tracks
George Jones, Al Dexter, and Ray Winkler are scheduled to be inducted into the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame this Saturday (Aug. 21) This year’s special guest performer will be Mel Tillis and the Statesiders. Also performing will be the Justin Trevino Band featuring Tony Booth, Georgette Jones, Frankie Miller, Darryl McCall, Mona McCall, […]
Photo by James Minchin There aren’t many areas of American roots music that Marty Stuart hasn’t explored since he came to Nashville as a teenaged mandolin player in Lester Flatt’s band. With solid runs as Johnny Cash’s guitarist and a hit-making solo country artist, Stuart has had one of the most eclectic careers of anyone […]
Don Williams to Perform Limited Number of Dates; New Album Releases; CMA Music Fest Attendance Booms
Soon-to-be-Country Music Hall of Famer Don Williams is coming out of retirement for a limited number of concert dates in the fall. Garth Brooks, now out of his own retirement, announced new dates for September, October, and November. New releases for the week of June 15, 2010 include: The Blue Shadows – On The Floor […]
Very few artists have been as successful at reinventing themselves as Donald Eugene Lytle (May 31, 1938–February 19, 2003). Possessed of enormous talent as a vocalist, Lytle was not as talented at keeping himself in check. As a result, he continually found himself in hot water. Lytle was born in the small rural town of […]
Tomorrow would have been Johnny Russell’s 70th birthday (he passed away in 2001). He was well-known for performing hits like “Rednecks, White Socks, and Blue Ribbon Beer” and “Catfish John,” but today’s Friday Five features my favorite Russell-penned songs that have been recorded by other artists. Honorable Mention: In a Mansion Stands My Love – […]
Miranda Lambert’s best album, Vince Gill’s epic artistic endeavor and an Opry legend’s final turn in the spotlight all land on the third-to-last installment of our countdown of the decade’s top 100 country albums. 30. Revolution (2009) – Miranda Lambert The wunderkind sheds some of the more outrageous elements of her previous album–the violence, the […]
There is nothing subtle about a couple of guys in white linen suits urgently beckoning in front of a twelve-foot, candy-apple red, plywood devil and a hellfire-and-brimstony rock pile. That jarring scene graced the cover of the Louvin Brothers’ 1959 album em>Satan Is Real, and its twelve songs were hardly any more subtle in their […]
All you young country singers who are looking to expand from country music into pop, movies, television and even book publishing, keep one thing in mind: Dolly did it first. Name any aspect of the entertainment industry, and Dolly Parton has probably been successful at it. Her latest venture is a CD/DVD live concert performance, […]
Thankfulness in country music can often be sarcastic, as in “Thanks A Lot,” or humorous, like “Thank God and Greyhound.” But with this month’s playlist we’re going to be serious, and check out some songs on which artists count their various blessings. 20. “Thank God For The Road” – The Flatlanders “When you’re trying to […]
What did Beyonce think after Kenya interrupted the awards? She figured the country’s government must still be bitter that Taylor Swift is only bringing her tour to the West coast of Africa. — Karlie What subgenre is Taylor Swift? Moody electropunk jazzbilly thrash metal with operatic overtones. Or just pop-country. — CMW When will I […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.