Pokey LaFarge Signs with Rounder; Michael Daves Plans Twin Album Project; Signature Sounds Celebrates 20 Years
Pokey LaFarge has signed with Rounder Records. He’s currently putting the finishing touches on his next album. (via press release) MilkDrive will release a new album called Places You’ve Not Been in March 2015. Michael Daves met his fundraising goal for the Twin Album Project yesterday. In May, he’ll release two albums with identical track listings; […]
This year’s ACM Honors, which will be held at the Ryman on September 9, will salute Kris Kristofferson and Dean Dillon (recipients of the Poet’s Award), Cowboy Jack Clement and Buck Owens (posthumous recipients of the Poet’s Award), Toby Keith and Ronnie Milsap (Career Achievement Awards), Carrie Underwood (Gene Weed Special Achievement Award) and several […]
Country Stars Revisit the Bristol Sessions; Pokey LaFarge Announces Tour; HoF & Music City Roots to Celebrate Night Train to Nashville Anniversary
Justin Townes Earle will release Single Mothers on Vagrant Records September 9. (via press release) Hot Rize has a new album and fall tour in the works. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Music City Roots are teaming up for a concert (scheduled for July 30) celebrating the tenth anniversary of Night Train to […]
Homer Bailes Passes Away; Muddy Roots Lineup Announced; Brennen Leigh & Noel McKay Release Christmas Album
Homer Bailes, the last surviving member of The Bailes Brothers, passed away on December 3. He was 91. A federal judge denied a motion to dismiss Amy Bowen’s lawsuit against Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Sony, and others. Earlier this year, Bowen alleged that the defendants “violated her copyright interests in the song ‘Remind Me,’ a […]
Black River Signs Clear Channel Partnership; Sammy Kershaw Re-Records Hits; Stream Skaggs’ Soldier Song
Graham Nash was recently interviewed by NPR’s Terry Gross. Listen here. Stream Ricky Skaggs’ take on “Two Soldiers” from upcoming Civil War compilation Divided & United. Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Tim McGraw, Florida Georgia Line, and Hunter Hayes have been named the CMT Artists of the Year. They’ll be honored during a live, 90-minute television […]
George Strait Inks New MCA Deal; Initial IBMA Awards Performers & Presenters Announced; Stream The Coal Men’s New Album
George Strait was celebrated at a private event at Nashville’s Schermerhorn Symphony Center last night. Strait recently inked a deal to record five more albums for his longtime label MCA. The Gibson Brothers, Del McCoury Band, and Rhonda Vincent & The Rage are among the acts confirmed as performers at this year’s IBMA Awards. The […]
Stream New Big Sandy, Avett Brothers Songs; Missy Raines’ Next Album Out 8/27; Pokey LaFarge on Boardwalk Empire Soundtrack
Any surprises in this list of Reba’s 10 biggest Billboard hits? Listen to Willie Nelson and Mavis Staples’ take on Bill Withers’ “Grandma’s Hands.” Vince Gill on Bakersfield legends: “Merle’s acceptance and positive assessment of this album means everything to us. The most important thing is to have Merle know how much I respect him. […]
Stream Guy Clark’s My Favorite Picture of You; Canadian Country Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott Album Due in Sept.
Dean Brody, Terri Clark, and Johnny Reid are among this year’s Canadian Country Music Awards nominees. Check out the full list here. Stream Guy Clark’s fantastic new album, My Favorite Picture of You, on The Wall Street Journal Speakeasy blog. Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott’s next album, Memories & Moments, will be released September 17 […]
T-Model Ford Passes Away; David Nail, Westbound Rangers Release New Videos; What’s Up with Gibson Banjos?
T-Model Ford passed away yesterday. The influential bluesman was in his 90s and had been battling health issues for several years after suffering a series of strokes in 2010. Listen to a KEXP session Ford recorded in 2008. Emmylou Harris’ “Boulder to Birmingham” and Charlie Louvin’s “Ira” made The A.V. Club’s list of “songs that directly […]
The Band of Heathens will release their fourth album, Sunday Morning Record, on September 17. Listen to the first single here. Fiddlin’ Dwight Moody (The Virginia Playboys, WBT Briarhoppers) passed away on Friday at the age of 83. Todd Snider announced a fall solo tour. Rhonda Vincent and Willie Nelson sang a duet together that’ll appear […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.