Loretta Lynn didn’t let a broken rib keep her from singing. Lynn also told Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin that she’s interested in making another album with Jack White. The Earl Scruggs Center will open in Shelby, NC on January 11. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has secured $78 million in contributions as part […]
Linda Ronstadt revealed in an AARP.org interview that she has Parkinson’s Disease and that it has robbed her of her ability to sing. The terrible Rim Fire near Yosemite has forced the cancellation of the long-running Strawberry Music Festival. (warning: autoplay) Trisha Yearwood confirmed in a television interview that she and Garth Brooks are working […]
Kathy Mattea to Host Nashville Public Television Show; Elvis’ Gold Piano Leaving CMHoF; New Inside Llewyn Davis Trailer Released
Kathy Mattea will host a Nashville Public Television show called Aging Matters. The program, which will debut September 12, focuses on “issues such as caregiving, finances, end-of-life care, dementia, and Alzheimer’s.” This spring I enjoyed reading David Wesley Williams’ first novel, Long Gone Daddies. You can win a copy of the audiobook by entering this […]
Old Crow Medicine Show was invited to join the Grand Ole Opry by Marty Stuart. They’ll be inducted on September 17. Joey + Rory announced on their RFD-TV television show that they will release their next album, Made to Last, in the fall. Thompson Square brought computers to a school in Honduras. Martina McBride is no longer […]
George Strait to Receive the Legend of Live Billboard Award; 52nd Annual Philly Folk Fest Begins; The Rise of Bro-Country
The 52nd annual Philadelphia Folk Festival begins today. Jewly Hight wrote the Nashville Scene’s new, engaging Reba cover story. It turns out that the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum got more Reba “artifacts” than they’ve ever received from anyone else, including high school report cards, shell casings, and unopened bags of Reba Fritos. […]
Renaissance man Peter Cooper will release his third album, Opening Day, on September 10. Cooper interviewed John Oates about his new “Appalachia-meets-Philadelphia country soul” project, Good Road to Follow. Rosanne Cash’s currently-untitled new album will be released January 14. It appears that the Curb-Tim McGraw legal saga might be nearing an end after a federal judge […]
Stream New Willie & Dolly Duet; Chris Eldridge and Julian Lage Release EP; Peter Cooper Responds to Tom Petty’s Country Criticism
Rolling Stone premiered a new Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton duet from Nelson’s forthcoming duets record. Listen to their version of “From the Moon and Back” (written for the not-so-good Parton/Queen Latifah movie Joyful Noise, it’s the song that Dolly sings while she dances with Ghost Kristofferson) here. This is not news, but you need […]
Download a version of “Rambling Hobo” recorded by Doc Watson in 1976. (The song can be found on new Folkways compilation, Classic Banjo.) Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean article: “How a Happy Accident Revolutionized Guitar Sound.” There’s a New York Times article on Mark Seliger, a photographer—he’s shot everyone from the Dalai Lama to JayZ—who moonlights […]
Bankesters Offer Sneak Peek at New Album; Celebrate Louis Armstrong at Satchmo Summerfest; Is Cracker Barrel Country Music’s Starbucks?
Vince Gill and Paul Franklin talk gear with Premier Guitar. JD McPherson played a session for WEXT. Listen here. Our filmmaking pal Jeremy Dylan (remember that time we interviewed him about the Jim Lauderdale documentary?) finished a new project: a short documentary on the making of Australian country singer Jasmine Rae’s new record, If I […]
Loretta Lynn’s eldest daughter, Betty Sue Lynn, passed away from complications of emphysema. She was 64. According to a recently released report, the music industry gives Nashville a $10 billion annual boost and has helped to create and sustain more than 56,000 jobs. Peter Cooper on the Music City study: “The ‘Nashville Music Industry’ report […]
- BRUCE: Florida Georgia Line, Hunter Hayes, Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan. These are the CMT Artists of the Year? Folks, it's …
- Janice Brooks: I'm happy with the Grammy list as usual. Don't overlook the Doc Watson album. As far as Bonnie R's …
- BRUCE: I missed no point whatsoever. Please re-read. By-the=way, I didn't miss the point about their positive review. However, I rarely …
- Luckyoldsun: Bruce, And I was making the broader point that you're missing the forest for the trees. A widely read national web publication …
- bruce: Lucky, Please revisit my comment. I said nothing about their review of the album but only their comment about the …
- Tom: ...kinda liked the waylon & willie bit in your list of country couples, luckyoldsun.
- Tom: ...rhonda vincent's album cover is actually a brillant prelude of the "hello kitty"-era. hard to see that they can't see …
- Arlene: @LuckyOldSun- Or. For that matter, Kasey and Shane, Buddy and Julie, or even Buddy and Jim....
- Leeann Ward: Ha! Yes, I'd imagine it's great (and fun) publicity for Rhonda Vincent.:)
- Juli Thanki: Shoot, her PR team sent out a link to the HuffPo article, and Rhonda retweeted a couple links to it, …